1965 Maserati Mistral 3.7-Litre Coupé
Coachwork by Carrozzeria Frua
Chassis no. AM109 608
Maseratis survival strategy for the 1960s centred on establishing the company - which hitherto had mainly concentrated on its Grand Prix and sports car racing activities - as a producer of road cars. The Modena marques new era began in 1957 with the launch at the Geneva Salon of the Touring-bodied 3500GT. A luxury 2+2, the 3500GT drew heavily on Maseratis competition experience, employing a tubular chassis frame and an engine derived from the 350S sports car unit of 1956. Suspension was independent at the front by wishbones and coil springs, while at the back there was a conventional live axle/semi-elliptic arrangement. The 3500GTs designer was none other than Giulio Alfieri, creator of the immortal Tipo 60/61 Birdcage sports-racer and the man responsible for developing the 250F into a World Championship winner. The twin-overhead-camshaft, six-cylinder engine was a close relative of that used in the 250F and developed around 220bhp initially, later examples producing 235bhp on Lucas mechanical fuel injection. Built initially with drum brakes and four-speed transmission, the 3500GT was progressively updated, gaining five speeds, front disc brakes and, finally, all-disc braking.
The next development of the theme arrived in 1962. Built on the short-wheelbase chassis of the Vignale-bodied 3500GT spyder, the Sebring coupé featured a five-speed gearbox, disc brakes and fuel injection as standard equipment, with automatic transmission, air conditioning and a limited-slip differential available as options.
Last of the classic six-cylinder Maseratis, the Pietro Frua-styled Mistral commenced production in 1963. The 3.7-litre version of the famous long-stroke engine was fitted to most cars, other options being the 3.5-litre or, from 1966, the 4.0-litre unit, all of which came with Lucas fuel injection. A handsome two-seater on a shortened, square-tube chassis, the Mistral was built in coupé and spyder versions, the formers opening rear window hatch making it unusually practical for a sports car. A five-speed gearbox, disc brakes and fuel injection were standard equipment; automatic transmission, air conditioning and a limited-slip differential the options. Production ceased in 1970, by which time a total of 827 coupés and 123 spyders had been built.
This particular Mistral was sold new in Italy to Sig. Albino Buticchi, of La Spezia, the President of Milan Football Club. The accompanying copy factory build sheet records the fact the car was delivered finished in Argento Auteuil (silver) with blue leather interior and equipped with a radio and luggage cover. Chassis number 608 subsequently went to France where it was purchased in February 2006 by the current owner. Partially restored and described as in very good condition, this lovely classic Maserati is offered with old French registration document, current Swiss Carte Grise and a substantial file of history and bills.
Cette Maserati Mistral a été vendue neuve en Italie au Sig. Albino Buticchi, de La Spezia, président du club de football de Milan. La fiche de fabrication d'usine, qui accompagne la voiture, précise qu'elle a été livrée couleur "Argento Auteuil" (gris métallisé), avec sellerie cuir bleu et présence d'un autoradio et d'un couvre-bagages. Ce châssis numéro "608" est ensuite parti en France où son actuel propriétaire en a fait l'acquisition en février 2006. Partiellement restauré et décrit comme étant en très bon état, cet élégant coupé Maserati classique comporte l'ancien titre d'immatriculation français, la carte grise suisse actuelle et un dossier important de documents historiques et de factures.
- Please Note:
As indicated by the star symbol by the lot number in the catalogue, this lot will be subject to local taxes if imported into the E.U.