1958 Norton 490cc International
Frame no. 77675 11N
Engine no. 77675 11N
Norton first applied the name International to its overhead-camshaft model in 1932. A racer for the road, the top-of-the-range Inter was based on the works machines but could be ordered with refinements such as lights and a kickstart-equipped gearbox. By the time production halted in 1939 the Inter was being built with four-speed foot-change gearbox and plunger rear suspension, re-appearing after the war in similar guise save for the adoption of the hydraulically-damped Roadholder front fork which replaced the pre-war girder. The model received Nortons race-developed Featherbed frame for 1953, an alloy cylinder barrel/head the new laid down gearbox being adopted at the same time. Expensive to make and challenged by cheaper parallel twins of comparable performance, the Inter ceased to be catalogued after 1955 but could still be obtained to special order until 1958, many of the later machines incorporating Manx components.
The Norton International offered here was supplied to Claude Rye of London on 23rd January 1958, and a few days later a Mr Curdy, of Oxford became the first owner. This motorcycle has undergone a full restoration, and although no receipts were available at time of cataloguing it is hoped that further information will have come to light by the sale day. It is believed that the engine was rebuilt by marque specialist, Stuart Rogers and that the machine has covered zero miles since. The petrol tank, cycle parts and seat have been restored; the gearbox, wheels, speedometer and Amal 10TT9 carburettor rebuilt; and a new wiring loom installed. Other noteworthy features include racing number-plate brackets, Reynolds steering damper, Brooklands Can silencer, new handlebar controls and a large-capacity oil tank. The machine is currently unregistered and there are no documents with it.
- We do not believe the frame it is original to the machine and have not been able to locate a number on it.