Intended to compete with Jaguar's MkVII in the luxury saloon market, the Rover P5 3-Litre arrived in 1958. The first unitary construction Rover, the P5 used a bored-out version of the firm's familiar inlet-over-exhaust six-cylinder engine. Power output initially was 115bhp, increasing to 134bhp later, but for Rover's established clientele, most notably the Civil Service which bought hundreds, the car's quietness, refinement and luxurious, 'gentlemen's club' interior were of far greater importance. Announced for 1965, the ultimate MkIII version added power-assisted steering and reclining seats to the MkII-introduced improvements that included the up-rated engine, lowered suspension and improved gear-change. Introduced in 1967, the V8-engined P5B was considerably quicker than its six-cylinder predecessor, the V8's 140-plus horsepower boosting top speed to 110mph and chopping 7 seconds off the 0-60mph time. Automatic transmission and power-assisted steering were standard features of a car that combined much improved performance with the luxury and refinement customers had long since come to expect in a Rover. The stylish low-roofline Coupé version proved almost as popular as the saloon and today is regarded as the most collectible of the 3-Litre/3.5-series Rovers. This well presented early P5B comes with Swansea V5 document stating that it has had only four registered owners, the last of whom acquired the car in May 1988. Finished in Admiralty Blue with Mulberry leather interior, the car has covered a believed-genuine 73,345 miles from new and benefits from a stainless steel exhaust system and recent new whitewall tyres. Described as in generally very good condition and said to drive very well, 'LRU 380F' is offered with the aforementioned V5, old-style logbook, MoT to June 2010, current road fund licence and a quantity of expired MoTs and old tax discs dating back to 1988.