From 31 years in present ownership 1933 Lagonda 16/80 2-litre Four Seat Tourer Registration no. APG 489 Chassis no. S10170 Engine no. S1920 (see below)
Heralding the new Lagonda in September 1932, The Autocar wrote: "Silence and smoothness of running have been combined with performance in the new 16/80 Lagonda to an extent not hitherto achieved in any of these very fine cars ..... The new machine is a delight on the open road for its acceleration, its road-holding and cornering ....." The new model catered for the contemporary fashion for six-cylinder engines and the selected proprietary engine was a Crossley unit of 1,991cc with pushrod-operated overhead valves. The engine was mounted in Lagonda's Continental 2-litre chassis, each engine being fully stripped and checked by Lagonda in their own workshops before issuing Lagonda's own nine year guarantee. A positive right-hand gear-change and central accelerator contributed to the model's charm and, although the chassis had that most desirable 'vintage' feel, it nevertheless offered up-to-the-minute driving and handling characteristics.
APG 489 was acquired by the present owner in November 1978, the previous owner recorded in the old style log book being the late Peter Garner of Landbeach who had owned this car since 1970. Since acquisition in 1978 the car has been used every year but in more recent times use has been limited to one or two local weddings for friends. We are advised that the car has proved utterly reliable throughout this period of ownership and we know it has been meticulously maintained for its owner by a respected and highly skilled engineer who prepares vintage cars and motorcycles for active competition. The car has that gentle patina that is only acquired through careful ownership over many years. It was repainted about eighteen years ago in its present British Racing Green livery. The coachwork is upholstered in beige leather and enjoys the benefit of a fold-down arm rest for the rear seat. The particular coachwork styling of this model includes useful luggage storage space behind the back seat. Driving equipment includes a fine pair of Marchal headlamps, Lucas side lamps and a Lucas centre spot/driving lamp, together with an impressive pair of Lucas trumpet horns. The coachwork has the advantage of four doors and excellent weather equipment includes hood and side screens. The car sits on 18 inch wheels with a nearside mounted spare and the windscreen opens to allow added ventilation. Concessions to reliable running include the fitting of twin petrol pumps and the car is equipped with two 12 volt batteries. A delightful period piece is the early Ferranti radio which is still operational and complements instrumentation which appears to be all original or period.
The car is offered with a green log book recording the engine number as S/176964. We feel that the car may have had an engine change at some in its life although the engine currently fitted is of the correct type. This spectacular car has been maintained on the button throughout the current ownership and when we visited the car started instantly and ran and drove smoothly. It is MoT tested to June 2010 and comes with a current road fund licence and Swansea registration document. The model is actively catered for by both The Vintage Sports-Car Club and The Lagonda Club and is eminently suitable for the longer distance motoring events.