First owned by Sir Digby Legard of Scampston Hall, Malton, Yorkshire 1924 Sunbeam 20/60hp Saloon Coachwork by F W Plaxton of Scarborough, Yorkshire Registration no. XR 13 Chassis no. 1116D Engine no. 1101D
For sheer quality few manufacturers matched the high standards set by Marston's Wolverhampton-produced 'Supreme' Sunbeam. John Marston, from a family involved in the manufacture of japanned metalware and tin plate products, had joined the ranks of local pioneers Lanchester and Wolseley in nearby Birmingham, in building his first motor car as early as 1899. Sunbeam established a distinguished history which would embrace successes on the race circuits and in outstanding World Land Speed Record achievements. Indeed the name Sunbeam was barely off the front page of newspapers in the first three decades of the last century, Marston fully recognising the value of publicity achieved from Sunbeam's sporting exploits. Advanced racing development filtered through and was reflected in Sunbeam motor cars offered to the every day motorist, the range of refined touring cars benefiting from this race breeding. In 1924 Sunbeam offered five different models, the 20/60hp model (RAC rating 20.9) featuring a 3,181cc, six-cylinder engine, and retailing that year in chassis form at £795.
This car is a low radiator Sanction D model, first registered on 13th August 1924 and featuring a distinctive London County Council issued registration number. Although the vast majority of Sunbeams of this era carried factory coachwork, the first owner of this car, Sir Digby Legard of Scampston Hall near Malton, Yorkshire, specified bespoke coachwork by local coachbuilders, F W Plaxton of Scarborough, a company which had set up business in 1919 and was later better known for their motor-coaches. No doubt local loyalties had prevailed. Distinctive features on this car are the Barker manual dipping headlights, factory-fitted fan, rev counter driven from the magneto drive, strengthened roof with slats on top for carrying luggage, a larger petrol tank and wire wheels with detachable rims and straight-sided tyres. This car comes from a prominent member of the STD Register and benefits from an engine which has recently been rebuilt by a marque specialist. This engine still needs to be carefully run in. New Dunlop straight-sided tyres have recently been fitted.
This handsome and stately car, presented in cream and black livery with blue leather interior, has originality in spades and particularly charming is the original upholstery which the vendor has respected and conserved. Surviving 20/60hp Sunbeams are rare and this car comes with a Swansea V5C registration document, current licence and MoT certificate.