The 1934 RSAC Scottish Rally and Zandvoort-campaigned 1933 MG K2 1,271cc Supercharged Magnette Registration no. MG 2191 Chassis no. K2001
This car was delivered to University Motors Ltd. on 6th March 1933 and is believed to have been the Works demonstrator and the first of just twenty similar cars built to K2 specification this one with a unique 'one-off' body style. Correspondence on file records that the first owner was a Mr Slade and the car was later owned by motor sport enthusiast, H.J. Searle, who competed in the 1934 Royal Scottish Automobile Club Scottish Rally in this car, achieving an unremarkable 55th place out of 59. Correspondence on file to Searle from the MG Car Company commiserates with him on his misfortune on that event, believed to have been a transmission malfunction. The car's immediate subsequent pre-war history is not recorded however during the 1949 to 1950 season this car was raced at Zandvoort in Holland by Jaap Zwart. In 1990 Zwart's brother recalled that the car was 'red, quite noisy and it had twin exhaust pipes'. In 1959 K2001 was in the ownership of Thomas Brooker, in 1960 it belonged to David Dunn and in 1961 was in the ownership of Richard Wright. The car appears therefore to have an almost continuous history. Originally fitted with the standard 1,087cc engine, the car is now equipped with an engine to 1,271cc N-Type specification.
K2001 was acquired by the present owner in 1998 and sympathetically restored. It was returned to the road in 1997 and in 1998, in the hands of the present owner, it won the Mary Harris Trophy in the Triple-M race at the MG Car Club Meeting at Silverstone. Since that time it has been extensively campaigned in local rallies in the North of England and at The MG Car Club Curborough Sprint and also VSCC Silverstone and Mallory Park. During the present ownership, by a lifelong MG enthusiast and capable engineer, restoration has included refurbishing of the springs, a brake overhaul, king pins, steering box and shock absorbers overhauled. A new steel crankshaft and rods have been fitted, the flywheel lightened, new pistons have been fitted and the engine re-sleeved to standard. The cylinder block and head have been re-faced, new valve seat inserts fitted, along with new valves, guides, spring rockers and bushes. New bearings have been fitted as appropriate in the gearbox, the clutch overhauled and a new propshaft fitted. The rear axle has been rebuilt with new bearings, crown wheel and pinion and half shafts. The car has been rewired, a new voltage regulator fitted, the dynamo overhauled with armature and field coils rewound. The starter motor has been overhauled, indicators and hazard lights fitted for safety reasons and a new petrol pump, radiator and hoses fitted. K2001 now sits on 16 inch wheels and enjoys the benefit of a remote brake adjuster as fitted to the competition K3's. The car has been equipped with a Volumex supercharger. In short, here is a car which has been prepared to race competitively as well as being a most usable and quick road-equipped car. The vendor has quite correctly resisted the temptation to fit 'boy racer' cycle wings, preferring to keep the car as closely as possible to original specification and to a design that was to influence MG's later T-Type models.
Importantly the authenticity of this car is recognised by The MG Car Club where it is recorded as Register no.3043. This important and exceedingly rare K2 comes with a comprehensive history file including much correspondence, some with previous owners. It comes also with an old style log book recording the history from 1951, along with a current Swansea registration document and MoT and road fund licence, both valid to June 2010. It comes with a FIA Historic Vehicle Identity Form and a VSCC buff form issued to the present owner. It should be noted that following re-sleeving this year the engine will require to be run-in for about another two hundred miles. The original coachwork is smartly presented in red livery and has been reupholstered in red leather/vinyl and comes with a relatively new hood and tonneau cover.
The vendor has a number of related mechanical spares which may be available to a successful buyer by private negotiation.
The present owner acquired this car in 1988, not 1998 as catalogued.