1952 Scott 596cc Flying Squirrel
Registration no. NKA 984
Frame no. 5119
Engine no. DPY5043
Bradford-born Alfred Angas Scott's first complete motorcycle appeared in 1908, its twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all chain drive marking it out as an advanced design for its day. In fact, the basic engine layout would survive until Scott production petered out in the 1960s, by which time the company had changed hands and relocated from Shipley to Birmingham. Scott's acquisition by Matt Holder's Aerco Jig & Tool Company in 1950 brought with it a number of long-awaited improvements, including a new duplex frame with rear suspension and improved brakes, though customers had to wait until 1956 to buy one of these new 'Birmingham' Scotts. In the meantime, old-style Flying Squirrels that had been completed at Shipley before the company's sale were the only models on offer.
One of the last Shipley-built Scotts, this example dates from this interim period and was first registered on 23rd April 1952 in Yardley, Birmingham. The machine was restored over a 20-year period by its previous (non-riding) owner and since 2006 has been ridden regularly on Scott and VMCC rallies by the current vendor. Described as in generally good condition, it benefits from a recent new rear tyre, up-rated clutch plates, chains and coil springs (fitted to the Dowty pneumatic front fork). The machine is offered with old-style continuation logbook and Swansea V5C document.