1969 Ducati 250cc Monza
Registration no. SAJ 24H
Frame no. DM250/81995
Engine no. DM250/100943
Designed by Fabio Taglioni, Ducati's first overhead-camshaft single - the 100 Gran Sport - appeared on the racetrack in 1954 and soon proved unbeatable in its class. A pair of 175cc roadsters were introduced for the 1956 season, the sports version of which was capable of more than 80mph, an astonishing achievement at the time and one that helped establish the 'giant killing' reputation long enjoyed by Ducati's miniature masterpieces. In 1959 the engine capacity was increased to 200cc (actually 204cc) for the Elite and 200SS models and then in 1961 came the first road-going 250s, the Monza tourer and Diana sports model, the latter being sold as the 'Daytona' in the UK. Mechanically the duo were virtually identical, though the Diana's 'hotter' cams gave it a slight performance edge with a top speed of 85mph to the Monza's 80.
We are advised that this modified 250 Monza was raced in its early days before being placed in storage for several years. It was subsequently acquired and restored for exhibition purposes by a Mr Keith Williams, from whom it was purchased by the current vendor. The latter then completed the restoration of the Ducati, which benefits from recently refinished paintwork and rebuilt wheels (with stainless steel spokes) plus new chromework, tyres, chain, battery, control cables and wiring. Flashing indicators have been fitted in the interests of safety and the machine incorporates various other non-standard components including the (new) fuel tank, seat and silencer. Described as in good running order, 'SAJ 24H' is offered with current road fund licence, MoT to October 2010 and Swansea V5.
- The machine is supplied with its original green log book.