c.1952 Sunbeam 489cc S8
Registration no. TFF 718
Frame no. S8 5659
Engine no. S8 8341
A wartime design by Erling Poppe, the Sunbeam inline twin was introduced by BSA, owners of Sunbeam Cycles Limited, in 1947. A luxury tourer, it was of advanced specification with overhead-camshaft engine, shaft drive and plunger rear suspension. The clutch housing and four-speed gearbox bolted directly to the back of the engine, which was rubber-mounted in the duplex loop frame, an innovation that required a flexible joint in the exhaust system ahead of the silencer. The first S7 version was equipped with balloon tyres, a feature not carried over to the deliberately more conventional, and also lighter and cheaper, S8 introduced in 1949. The front fork and 7" brake were now standard BSA components, and there were numerous other changes made in the interests of rationalisation. Never as popular as BSA's more performance orientated models, the gentlemanly S7 and S8 remained in production until 1957.
This matching-numbers Sunbeam S8 was acquired by the vendor around 4-5 years ago following a full 'ground upwards' restoration undertaken circa 1998, at which time the speedometer was zeroed. Since completion the machine has been used sparingly, the odometer recording only 1,829 miles, and with the exception of some surface rust on the wheel rims, it appears to be in generally very good condition. Collectible and relatively inexpensive, this fully restored S8 is offered with a quantity of restoration invoices, old-style logbook, MoT to November 2010 and Swansea V5.
- There is no current MoT present with this vehicle, but the machine has only done 300 miles since the last MoT.