The Piper Cub J3 is one of the most successful training aircraft of all time, in excess of 19,000 being manufactured between 1938 and 1947. The designs ancestry dates back to 1930 when Taylor Aircraft of Bradford, Pennsylvania introduced the Taylor E-2 Cub. When Taylor went bankrupt later that same year its major investor, William T Piper bought the company and resumed production of the improved J-2 Cub. Some 1,200 of the latter had been sold when fire destroyed the factory and Piper relocated to Lock Haven, PA where the further improved J-3 replaced the J-2 in 1938. Recognising that the country might be drawn into World War 2, the United States government instigated the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP), which chose the Cub as its primary training aircraft. Wartime demands greatly boosted production at its peak a Cub rolled off the line every 20 minutes and by the wars end some 80 percent of US military pilots had undergone their initial flight training in Cubs. The military variant, painted in olive green drab, was designated O-59 then L-4 after April 1942, while the US Navy version was the NE. Nicknamed grasshopper, they were used extensively for transport, reconnaissance and medical evacuation in all theatres of war. The L-4 was the most numerous of the various Cub types, nearly 5,700 being made up to 1947. Loved by pilots and enthusiast alike, the iconic J-3 Cub is still is use today in substantial numbers. This example, serial number 11225, was built in 1943 as an L-4 military type fitted with the 65hp Continental engine (its civilian equivalent is the Cub J-3C). This aircraft was assigned to the US 3rd Army, which was sent to the UK in December 1943 and saw action after D-Day under the command of Lieutenant General George S Patton, one of its most famous engagements being the Battle of the Bulge. 11225 was French-registered (F-BCZA) during the 1960s and comes with its flying logs for this period. The aircraft came to the UK in the 1970s, undergoing a complete rebuild in the mid-1990s during which the original Continental engine was replaced with a 90hp Rolls-Royce unit. It has been in the current ownership since 1991 and comes with sundry restoration invoices and current CAA Certificate of Validity/Permit to Fly valid until 23rd April 2010. Prior to its arrival at Goodwood, the aircraft was last flown in March 2009.