1926  Singer  10/26hp Roadster  Chassis no. 148761 Engine no. to be advised
Lot 359
1926 Singer 10/26hp Roadster Chassis no. 148761 Engine no. to be advised
Sold for £9,200 (US$ 15,463) inc. premium
Lot Details
1926 Singer 10/26hp Roadster
Registration no. BS 9045
Chassis no. 148761
Engine no. to be advised

Footnotes

  • Coventry cycle manufacturer Singer first ventured into the world of powered transport in 1901, making tricycles and motorcycles. Tri-cars soon followed, with motor car production proper commencing in 1905 using proprietary engines. The first Singer-powered model - the 10hp - debuted at The Cycle & Motor Cycle Show in November 1912. Because it weighed less than 7cwt and was under 1,100cc in capacity (actually 1,096cc) the 10hp Singer was classed as a cyclecar, which explains the choice of venue. But unlike the majority of contemporary cyclecars, which were flimsy affairs of limited practicality, the new baby Singer was a proper light car and thus a development of immense significance. Priced at £185 at launch and produced for more than a decade, the Ten was an immense commercial success for Singer and is regarded as a landmark model in the history of the British motor industry.
    Its successor, known as the ‘10/26’, was launched at the 1924 Motor Show. The newcomer boasted a 1,308cc overhead-valve engine that produced 25% more power than its predecessor’s, enabling the car’s dimensions to be usefully increased. A wider variety of body styles was made available on the newly enlarged ‘Ten’, ranging from a two-seat roadster up to a limousine. On the model’s first competitive outing, the 1924 London-Exeter Trial, the 10/26 acquitted itself admirably, rewarding its driver, A R H Stewart, with a Gold Medal. The 10/26 would turn out to be an even greater success than its illustrious forebear, with more then 15,000 produced over three years.
    This delightful Singer 10/26hp roadster is one of only a handful of its type left in existence according to the Singer Owners’ Club’s Vintage Registrar. The car was repatriated to the UK from Australia in 2000 and owned by one E Johnston until 2004. Andy Morris, of Oxford owned it from 2004 to 2008, since when it has belonged to the current vendor. Although restored, the car is reported to be ‘as original as possible and in exceptional condition.’ A new core was fabricated for the German silver radiator in 2006, and the running gear is described as in excellent order. Representing a rare opportunity to acquire a Vintage roadster belonging to one of Britain’s premier marques, the car is offered with current road fund licence, MoT to 29th May 2009 and Swansea V5C registration document.
Activities