Replacing the traditional separate chassis, unitary construction arrived at Austin in 1954 in the form of the almost entirely new A40 and A50 Cambridge models, powered by B-Series engines of 1.2 and 1.5 litres respectively but otherwise almost identical apart from a higher final drive ratio in the latters case. The first to be designed entirely under the auspices of BMC, this 3rd generation A40 was available in two-door and four-door versions at first, although the former was soon dropped. The smaller-engined A40 did not survive post-1956, and the following year the A50 Cambridge was updated with a usefully bigger boot and little add-on tail fins. It was, however, a short-lived model soon replaced by the new Farina-styled Cambridge. Purchased in 2005 and last MoTd to April 2007, this A40 Cambridge starts, runs well and drives, though the foot brake is inoperative (the handbrake works). Finished in black with red leather interior, the vehicle is offered for restoration and comes with sundry bills, expired MoT and Swansea V5 registration document.