1975 Aston Martin V8 Automatic Saloon Registration no. NBO 783P Chassis no. V8/11337/RCA Engine no. V/540/1337
The acquisition of Aston Martin by Company Developments in 1972 brought with it a change of name for the V8-engined cars: out went DBS V8, in came AM V8. This new Series 2 was readily distinguishable by its restyled front which now featured two instead of four headlamps and recalled the looks of the earlier DB six-cylinder cars. Electronic ignition and air conditioning were now standard. Introduced in 1973, the Series 3 employed a quartet of Weber 42 DCNF carburettors instead of the previous Bosch mechanical fuel injection, the change bringing with it increased torque and necessitating a larger bonnet bulge. Despite the switch to carburettors, fuel economy improved and even in automatic transmission form the Weber-equipped car proved almost as quick as the preceding manual version. NBO 783P has been owned by the vendor, an AMOC member, since 1999 and been used for various Club events and spring/summer motoring, covering approximately 10,000 miles in the past 10 years. (Expired MoT certificates on file show that between 1985 and 2008 the Aston covered only 12,000-or-so miles and the total currently stands at 62,306 miles). Purchased from marque specialist, Desmond Smail, the car comes with a most extensive file of history that includes the original service voucher booklet (stamped from 1975 to 1986), numerous subsequent copy and original invoices, assorted AM V8-related literature, SORNs for the period 2004 to 2007, copy old V5, a quantity of expired tax discs and the aforementioned MoTs. Also on file is a selection of photographs recording restoration of the bodywork (passenger-side sill and wheelarches). The vendor advises us that the engines condition appears good, although hydrocarbon emissions are too high to pass the MoT test, and that the automatic transmission changes well. The air conditioning is currently not working. Offered with Swansea V5.