1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante
Lot 142
Originally the property of Francis Curzon, The 5th Earl Howe, CBE, PC, VD.,1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante Coupé Chassis no. 57502 Engine no. 26S
Sold for €3,417,500 (US$ 4,305,366) inc. premium

Lot Details
1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante 1937 BUGATTI T57S Atalante
Originally the property of Francis Curzon, The 5th Earl Howe, CBE, PC, VD.
1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante Coupé
Registration no. EWS 73 (UK)
Chassis no. 57502
Engine no. 26S
Francis Richard Henry Penn Curzon naquit à Mayfair (Londres) en mai 1884 au sein d’une famille aristocratique et, selon la tradition familiale, il embrassa une carrière dans la Royal Navy après ses études. Pendant la Grande Guerre, il combattit comme commandant d’un bataillon à Gallipoli et à Salonique, en France et en Belgique. Au retour de la paix, le Rt Hon. Viscount Curzon entra en politique et remporta le siège de représentant du quartier de Battersea South (Londres) pour le Parti Conservateur en 1918 tout en entretenant ses liens avec la Royal Navy, accédant au grade de capitaine de vaisseau et en 1921 de commandant de la Division du Sussex du Corps de réserve des volontaires de la Royal Navy. Il accéda à la pairie en 1929 au décès de son père en devenant le cinquième comte (Earl) Howe. Cette élévation à la pairie mit un terme à sa carrière parlementaire. C’est vers cette époque qu’il entama sa longue et distinguée carrière de pilote automobile.

Sa place dans l’histoire du sport automobile fut confortée par sa victoire au Mans en 1931 avec une Alfa Romeo dont il partagea le volant avec Sir Henry Birkin en accomplissant
3 018 km à 125,7 km/h de moyenne. Il disputa six fois les 24 Heures du Mans, de 1929 à 1935, année où il signa le meilleur tour à 139,6 km/h avant d’abandonner après 1 739 km de course. Howe se mêla aux « Bentley Boys » et Benjafield, Barnato, Kidston et Birkin furent de ses amis les plus proches. Avec l’appui et les encouragements de Howe, Benjafield fonda en 1928 le British Racing Drivers’ Club dont Howe devint le premier président en 1929. Howe courut régulièrement au Mans et à Brooklands, pilota à Donington Park où il remporta le Donington Park Trophy en 1933, gagna le Grosvenor Grand Prix 1938 en Afrique du Sud et conquit de nombreuses places d’honneur jusqu’en 1939. Parmi les grandes figures du sport automobile d’avant 1940, Earl Howe était à l’égal des Campbell et des Segrave, célébrités en leur temps et membres de l’élite sportive et mondaine londonienne.

Il n’est donc pas étonnant que pour le choix de sa voiture personnelle, Howe eût retenu les critères les plus élevés en matière de conception mécanique et de comportement dynamique, de performances maximales et de confort qu’une personnalité de son rang pouvait exiger, outre une élégance reflétant le style le plus raffiné apparu au milieu des années 1930.

Le Type 57 S de Bugatti répondait parfaitement à ces critères en apparaissant comme l’apogée de l’automobile sportive en son temps. Sa période de production fut brève car les coûts de fabrication étaient déjà très élevés. Howe sut reconnaître le caractère extraordinaire de l’animal. Le Type 57 de Bugatti s’était déjà affirmé sur le segment de marché le plus élitiste et si la 57 S en partageait la majeure partie des caractéristiques, ses différences la classaient nettement à part. Son excellence mécanique était attestée par l’adoption d’un système de graissage à carter sec avec un nouveau carter de vilebrequin et deux pompes. Des pistons haute compression apportaient un gain de puissance significatif en fonction duquel l’embrayage fut renforcé. L’allumage était confié à une magnéto verticale Scintilla Vertex entraînée par l’arbre à cames de gauche. Mais la différence fondamentale entre la 57 S et la 57 de base se situait dans le châssis. Le nouveau cadre surbaissé avait été raccourci sur empattement et le pont arrière traversait les longerons évidés. Les amortisseurs De Ram étaient conçus de telle sorte que leur action fût proportionnelle à la vitesse et à l’ampleur des débattements. Le nouveau châssis surbaissé et le dièdre caractéristique du radiateur représentaient de vrais bénéfices pour le styliste et le dessin du coupé Atalante influencé par Jean Bugatti s’alliait avec bonheur à celui du radiateur traité comme une sculpture.
Ce fut donc tout naturellement que Bugatti mit en ligne une équipe de machines de course spéciales sur base 57 S qui remportèrent en 1936 le GP de l’ACF, le GP de la Marne et le GP du Comminges et qui battit le record de l’heure, des six heures et des 24 heures à Montlhéry. Fait essentiel, Jean-Pierre Wimille et Robert Benoist menèrent une de ces voitures à la victoire aux 24 Heures du Mans 1937 à une moyenne record absolue de 137 km/h en couvrant 3 287,9 km. Au vu de ces résultats incontestables, le choix d’une 57 S par Howe en novembre 1936 n’a donc rien d’étonnant.

Les livres de l’usine Bugatti enregistrèrent le 2 novembre 1936 une commande (n° 903) du distributeur britannique, le colonel Sorel, pour un coupé 57 S Atalante destiné à leur estimé client et président du Bugatti Owners’ Club Earl Howe, de Penn House, Amersham, Bucks. De façon assez optimiste, la commande prévoyait une livraison le 25 janvier 1937. Le châssis n° 57502 et le moteur n° 26 S furent réservés à cette commande. Quelle que fut la raison du retard, la carrosserie Atalante construite à l’usine ne fut achevée que le 5 mai 1937. Elle fut finie en bleu et noir, les couleurs personnelles de Howe, garnie en peau de porc et équipée de deux projecteurs longue portée et d’un pare-chocs en deux parties. Portant la plaque d’immatriculation constructeur 1127 W5, la voiture fut photographiée dans un paysage alsacien (image figurant ici et dans Bugatti – le pur sang des automobiles, de H. G. Conway, 1963, p 261) puis essayée une ultime fois sur la route par Pierre Marco le 7 juin 1937 avant sa livraison à Sorel le 9. Les anciens relevés d’immatriculation des années 1940 et 1950 font état d’une première immatriculation en date du 15 juin et du 15 juillet 1937. Il semble que le 15 juin soit la bonne date car il ne fait aucun doute que Howe qui attendait sa voiture depuis plus de six mois était impatient de l’utiliser sur la route. Très tôt, Howe fit équiper 57502 de rétroviseurs spéciaux et d’un porte-bagages sur l’arrière. Le pare-chocs en deux parties fit place à un pare-chocs monolame et un accessoire identique fut installé à l’arrière. La voiture neuve de Howe fut choisie par Sorel pour illustrer son catalogue et le même cliché parut dans l’édition du Bugantics de juillet 1937.

La nouvelle voiture de Howe, immatriculée DYK 5, parut au Concours d’élégance d’Eastbourne le 20 juillet 1937. « DYK 5 » qui logeait dans les garages de Howe à Amersham avec d’autres belles machines de sport et de course européennes, devint une vision familière dans les paddocks des circuits britanniques. On pense qu’elle fut remisée à Penn House pendant la guerre, après quoi Howe l’utilisa en tant que président du British Racing Drivers’ Club pour l’ouverture officielle de la première épreuve automobile britannique, le Cockfosters Rally. À la suite d’un accident survenu près de Shelsley Walsh en 1945, Howe remplaça cette voiture par la Type 57 C Atalante de son ami Lord Cholmondley.

Les pérégrinations de « 57502 » à cette époque ne sont pas connues dans le détail, mais la correspondance conservée permet de penser qu’elle passa via Car Mart Ltd d’Euston Road, à Londres, à Continental Cars Ltd. de Send, Surrey, puis qu’elle fut utilisée par Rodney Clark et Leonard Potter. En septembre 1946, elle fut réimmatriculée à Edimbourg sous le numéro EWS 73, le numéro DYK 5 étant transféré sur une Jaguar. John P. Tingay d’Eastcote dans le Middlesex apparaît comme propriétaire au début de 1947. Dans Bugantics de novembre 1948, il décrit l’installation d’un compresseur Marshall K200 et d’une tubulure modifiée qui fit passer la voiture au standard du Type 57 SC. Le propriétaire suivant connu à la date du 13 janvier 1950 est Metal Castings Ltd de Worcester dont le directeur, Marmaduke Harry Ferguson de Stanklyn House, Stone, Kidderminster, devint propriétaire officiel 19 mars 1951. Le 31 décembre 1953, cette voiture fut déclarée comme étant la propriété de Matthew White Riddley, troisième vicomte Riddley, de Blagdon Hall, Seaton Burn, près Newcastle. Riddle était naturellement un proche de Howe dans les milieux sportifs avant la guerre car il avait piloté souvent des Alfa Romeo et même développé et construit sa propre Riddley Special pour lutter contre les petites voitures à compresseur d’Herbert Austin. La voiture resta peu de temps aux mains de Riddley, mais au cours de cette période, elle fut probablement remarquée à Newcastle par le Dr Harold Carr dont la famille possédait des intérêts dans cette ville.

Le Dr Carr qui aimait les belles choses avait probablement suivi les exploits sportifs de Howe, Riddley et autres personnalités du sport avant la guerre. Son choix d’une 57 S fut délibéré et avant l’acquisition de 57502, il avait correspondu avec la firme J. H. Bartlett Ltd, spécialistes en voitures de sport et de compétition à Notting Hill Gate, à propos de 57573, ex voiture du salon de Londres 1937 achetée par Abecassis. Il avait aussi été en rapport avec Peter Thorneycroft, président du Board of Trade en février 1955, à propos de l’éventuelle importation d’un Type 57 de Belgique. Ce n’est peut-être pas par hasard que 57502 revint à Newcastle quand le Dr Carr acheta la voiture 895 livres à J. H. Bartlett Ltd en avril 1955 (la facture reproduite ici figure au dossier de la voiture).

On ignore la façon dont le Dr Carr utilisa 57502, mais la correspondance conservée permet de penser qu’il essaya pendant quelque temps d’améliorer le fonctionnement des amortisseurs De Ram et de l’allumeur Scintilla. Il semble que la voiture ait peu roulé et que le kilométrage total enregistré, environ 42 000 km, soit exact si l’on considère l’immobilisation due à la guerre et le fait que la voiture demeura en partie démontée dans le garage du Dr Carr pendant 50 ans en prévision d’une totale reconstruction qui ne fut jamais entreprise.

Le comportement très discret du Dr Carr explique que 57502 resta pratiquement ignorée jusqu’à son décès survenu au printemps 2007. Un nettoyage soigné et la conservation et le remontage de divers accessoires ont montré la parfaite intégrité de cette automobile hautement symbolique dont tous les principaux organes mécaniques sont d’origine, tandis que le numéro de la carrosserie originale, supposé être le n° 9, est désormais confirmé par des marques frappées sur le capot et les carénages des roues arrière.

La nouveau propriétaire aura donc maintenant le choix entre la conservation d’une patine historique et une restauration aussi attentionnée que scrupuleuse à partir d’une base d’une rare authenticité. On estime que le moteur de 57502 n’a pas tourné depuis plus de 50 ans, mais après un démontage et une reconstruction, le nouveau propriétaire aura le plaisir de redémarrer 26 S pour entendre ce bruit de turbine qui séduisit tant Earl Howe quand il prit livraison de cette voiture chez Sorel en 1937. Vraie supercar classique, 57502 renaît aux yeux du monde.


Francis Richard Henry Penn Curzon was born in Mayfair, London, in May
1884 into a privileged background and, following family tradition,
adopted a career with the Royal Navy after leaving school, serving as
a Battalion Commander of the 2nd Brigade Royal Naval Division in the
Great War, seeing action at Gallipoli and in Salonica, France and
Belgium. Upon cessation of hostilities the Rt. Hon. Viscount Curzon
entered politics, winning the Battersea South seat in London for the
Conservative Party in 1918, while still retaining his Naval
connections, taking up the rank of Captain and becoming Commanding
Officer of the Sussex Division of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in
1921. He succeeded to the peerage in 1929 upon the death of his
father, becoming the 5th Earl Howe. This elevation to the peerage
ended his Parliamentary career and it was about this time that he
began his long and distinguished involvement in motor racing.

Howe’s place in the history of motor sport was assured by his victory
at Le Mans in 1931, driving an Alfa-Romeo and partnered on that
occasion by Sir Henry Birkin, completing 1,875 miles at an average
speed of 78.128mph. He was to drive at Le Mans on six occasions
between 1929 and 1935 and in his final year put in the fastest lap of
the race at a speed of 86.751mph, although sadly retiring after a hard
fought 1,087 miles.

Howe mixed with the ‘Bentley Boys’, Benjafield, Barnato, Kidston and
Birkin ranking amongst his close friends in motor racing circles. With
Howe’s support and encouragement Dudley Benjafield was to establish
the British Racing Drivers’ Club in 1928 and Howe was to be elected
its first President at the 1929 Annual General Meeting. He was a
regular at Le Mans and Brooklands, raced at Donington Park, winning
the Donington Park Trophy Race in 1933, carrying off the winner’s
laurels in the 1938 Grosvenor Grand Prix in South Africa and recording
many podium finishes in a racing career ending in 1939. Amongst pre-
war motor sport heroes, Earl Howe’s name ranked alongside those of
Campbell and Segrave – super heroes of their day who mixed in the
upper echelons of London’s high speed and fashionable society.


Howe, as Viscount Curzon, had driven a Type 43 Bugatti with some
success in the 1928 Ulster Tourist Trophy Race, achieving fastest lap
in Class D then sadly retiring with petrol supply problems, and
enjoyed mixed success on occasion partnering Campbell in a similar car
at Brooklands and other venues in 1929 and 1930. In 1931 he was to
secure delivery of one of the first Type 51 Grand Prix cars that he
was to campaign as an amateur in the 1931 Monaco Grand Prix. Howe’s
warm relationship with Le Patron is evidenced by the fact that he took
delivery of one of just a handful of the fearsome 4.9-litre
supercharged Bugatti Type 54 Grand Prix cars for the 1932 season.
Regrettably, the Type 54 failed to distinguish itself against the
might of Alfa Romeo, Mercedes-Benz and Maserati. Finally, in 1935,
Howe was to take delivery of a Works Team Bugatti Type 59, one of four
Grand Prix cars to be sold to British amateur drivers including
Martin, Eccles and Lewis when Le Patron scaled down factory racing
involvement. This pedigree of race cars, which Howe experienced at
first hand, undoubtedly influenced and spawned the Type 57S – surely a
Grand Prix car in touring car guise.

It is not surprising therefore that Howe, when choosing his personal
road car, would seek out the highest standards in road holding and
engineering refinement, maximum performance combined with comforts
that one of his social standing would expect, and an elegance
reflecting the very pinnacle of styling finesse in the mid-1930s.

Bugatti’s Type 57S ticked every one of those boxes – perhaps the
ultimate pre-war sports car. Its production run was but brief as
manufacturing costs were too high, however, Howe recognised the
outstanding nature of the beast. Bugatti’s Type 57 had already
established its credentials but although the 57S shared many of its
features, its differences set it in a league apart. Mechanical
excellence was achieved by fitting a modified crank case with dual oil
pumps and dry sump lubrication. High compression pistons gave the new
engine a significant performance edge and the clutch was reinforced to
cope with the extra output. Ignition was by a Scintilla Vertex magneto
driven from the left-hand camshaft. The fundamental difference between
the 57S and the standard 57 cars however lay in the frame design. The
new low-slung frame featured a shorter wheelbase, the rear axle
passing through the frame, while de Ram shock absorbers provided
damping cleverly engineered to increase with speed.
The new low-slung chassis and distinctive vee-shaped radiator design
of the 57S was a gift to the stylist and the Jean Bugatti-influenced
Atalante Coupé styling blended impeccably with the sculpted radiator
design.

It was not surprising that Bugatti should field a team of specially
designed 57S racing cars, winning in 1936 Le Grand Prix de l’A.C.F.,
le Grand Prix de la Marne and le Grand Prix du Comminges and setting
new One Hour, Six Hour and 24-Hour records at Monthléry. Notably Jean-
Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist drove one of these cars to victory
at Le Mans in 1937 at an all time record average speed of 85.125mph
and covering 2,043 miles in 24 hours. With these credentials, little
wonder therefore that Howe’s car of choice in November 1936 was the 57S.

On 2nd November 1936 Bugatti factory ledgers recorded an order
(allocated no. 903) from their British agent, Col. Sorel, for a Type
57S Atalante Coupé for their valued client and Bugatti Owners’ Club
President, Earl Howe of Penn House, Amersham, Buckinghamshire. Perhaps
optimistically that order quoted a delivery date of 25th January 1937.
Chassis no. 57502 and engine no. 26S were allocated to this order.
Whatever the cause of the delay might have been, the factory-built
Atalante coachwork was not completed until 5th May 1937. It was
liveried in Howe’s racing colours of blue and black, furnished with
pig skin upholstery and equipped with twin spotlights and a split
front bumper. Bearing factory trade plate 1127 W5 the car was
photographed in the Alsatian countryside ( as illustrated here and
Bugatti – le pur-sang des automobiles, H G Conway, 1963, page 261) and
was finally road tested by Pierre Marco on 7th June 1937 prior to
delivery to Sorel on 9th June 1937. Old style buff log books from the
1940s and 1950s record first registration variously as 15th June 1937
and 15th July 1937. It seems likely that 15th June 1937 would be the
correct date of first registration as no doubt Howe was eager to road
test his new car, having ordered it some seven months previously. At
an early stage Howe equipped 57502 with distinctive rear view mirrors,
a luggage rack on the tail and replacing the split front bumper with a
single bumper and adding a similar rear bumper. Howe’s new car was
selected by Sorel for illustration in their next sales brochure, the
same photograph also featuring in the July 1937 issue of Bugantics.

Howe’s new car was registered DYK 5 and proudly displayed by him at
the Eastbourne Concours d’élégance on 20th July 1937. DYK 5 shared the
motor house at Howe’s Amersham home with a fine stable of other
European sports and racing cars and became a familiar sight in the
paddock at British motor sport venues. It is believed that the car was
stored at Penn House for the duration of the war, following which Howe
used this car, in his capacity as President of the British Racing
Drivers’ Club, to formally open the first British post-war motor sport
event, the Cockfosters Rally. Following an accident in 1945, Howe
replaced this car with his friend Lord Cholmondley’s Type 57C Atalante.


At the time of cataloguing in early January 2009, the precise
movements of 57502 was not recorded but correspondence on file
suggested that it passed via Car Mart Ltd of Euston Road, London, to
Continental Cars Ltd of Send, Surrey. However, on 1st January 2009 –
as a result of media exposure – Bonhams were contacted by a Mr R. M.
Oliver, who wrote in email correspondence,
“Having been the director of Continental Cars who dealt with the
purchase and subsequent re-sale of EWS 73, I was interested to
discover that it has re-appeared. Earl Howe sold it to the London
dealer, Car-Mart. When I went to see it in their showroom I was told
that the only alteration which had been made to the car was the
colour. Howe’s cars always incorporated his light blue, sometimes
referred to as “Howe blue”. It was a condition of the sale to Car-Mart
that it must not be sold in that colour, so they had the blue painted
maroon/dark red. I took the car for a short trial run and bought it
on behalf of Continental Cars Ltd.
I drove the car a number of times before selling to John P. Tingay, an
architect. When he came to collect it from us at Send he brought his
wife with him, and I was under strict instructions not to let her know
how much he had paid for it! About £2,000 or a bit more I think as
that is what 57S’s were making – a considerable amount of money in
those days. I am attaching a photograph of the car taken when
Continental Cars had it for sale.

R.M. Oliver.”

This email correspondence is now offered with the Bugatti and neatly
completes the continuous history. Other research indicates that in
September 1946 it was re-registered with the number EWS 73, the
original DYK 5 number being transferred to a Jaguar. And, as
previously mentioned, John P Tingay of Eastcote in Middlesex is
recorded as the owner of this car in early 1947, having acquired it
from the aforementioned Mr Oliver of Continental Cars.


In Bugantics in November 1948 Tingay records the fitting of a Marshall
K200 supercharger and modified manifolding, effectively upgrading the
car to Type 57SC specification. The next recorded owner on 13th
January 1950 was Metal Castings Ltd of Worcester, whose director,
Marmaduke Harry Ferguson of Stanklyn House, Stone, Kidderminster,
became the recorded owner on 19th March 1951. On 31st December 1953
this car was recorded in the ownership of Matthew White Ridley, the
3rd Viscount Ridley, of Blagdon Hall, Seaton Burn, near Newcastle.
Ridley would of course have been a close acquaintance of Howe in
racing circles in pre-war days, having actively campaigned Alfa-Romeos
and indeed developed and built his own Ridley Special to compete with
Herbert Austin’s diminutive supercharged racing cars. Ridley’s
ownership of this car was comparatively brief, but during that
ownership it was most probably seen regularly in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
by Dr Harold Carr whose family had business interests in that city.

Dr Carr had a passion for the finer things in life and had no doubt
followed the motor racing exploits of the likes of Howe and Ridley in
pre-war years. His choice of a Type 57S was deliberate and, prior to
acquisition of 57502, he had already corresponded with J H Bartlett
Ltd, Sports and Competition Car Specialists of Notting Hill Gate,
regarding 57573, the ex-Abecassis 1937 London Show car. He had also
corresponded with Peter Thorneycroft, President of the Board of Trade,
in February 1955 regarding the possibility of importing a Type 57 from
Belgium. Perhaps it was no coincidence that 57502 returned to
Newcastle when Dr Carr bought the car for £895 from J H Bartlett Ltd
in April 1955.


History does not record to what extent Dr Carr used 57502 but
correspondence on file suggests that he spent some time trying to
enhance the performance of the de Ram shock absorbers and Scintilla
ignition. It seems likely that the car saw little use during the
doctor’s ownership and the present recorded mileage of 26,284 miles
may well be correct, bearing in mind the laid up period during the War
and the fact that the car is known to have remained in a partially
dismantled state in the doctor’s garage for 50 years or so in
preparation for a full rebuild. That rebuild was destined not to happen.

The doctor’s very private nature resulted in 57502 remaining largely
out of sight until his death in the late Spring of 2007. Recent
careful cleaning and conservation and refitting of various ancillaries
clearly shows the absolute integrity of this significant emerging
motoring icon, with all major components being original to the car and
the original body number, always thought to be no. 9, now confirmed by
visible bonnet valance stampings and stampings to the rear wheel spats.

A new owner now has the opportunity to carefully retain the present
patina or to carry out a sympathetic restoration, starting from an
outstandingly original baseline. It is thought that the engine of
57502 has not been fired up for more than 50 years and, following
stripping and rebuilding, the new owner will have the pleasure of
firing up 26S and hearing that turbine-like sound that so excited Earl
Howe when he collected this car from Sorel in 1937. Once again 57502,
a true supercar with impeccable credentials, emerges to take its place
on the world stage.

The car’s discovery has been brought to the attention of the Pebble
Beach Concours d’Elegance selection committee, and they have kindly
granted the car a fully transferable entry in its present condition
(and subject to their entry criteria) for the Pre-war Preservation
class of their 2009 event, which is available to the new owner.


Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items