'Black Bess' - The ex-Roland Garros/Louis Coatalen/Colonel Giles/Peter Hampton. 1913 5-litre Bugatti Type 18 Sports Two-Seater.,1913 Bugatti Type 18  Chassis no. 474
Lot 114
'Black Bess' - The ex-Roland Garros/Louis Coatalen/Colonel Giles/Peter Hampton. 1913 5-litre Bugatti Type 18 Sports Two-Seater.,1913 Bugatti Type 18 5-litre Sports Two-seater Chassis no. 474 Engine no. 474
Sold for €2,427,500 (US$ 3,272,512) inc. premium
Lot Details
'Black Bess' - The ex-Roland Garros/Louis Coatalen/Colonel Giles/Peter Hampton. 1913 5-litre Bugatti Type 18 Sports Two-Seater.
1913 Bugatti Type 18 5-litre Sports Two-seater
Coachwork by Labourdette

Registration no. XN 1331 (UK)
Chassis no. 474
Engine no. 474
À coup sûr la plus importante des Bugatti antérieures à la Grande Guerre, la « Bugatti Roland Garros » appartient à la série du Type 18 construit à sept exemplaires seulement et dont il ne reste que trois exemplaires connus. Son historique sans faille est incontestable du fait de son appartenance depuis sa sortie d’usine à une suite d’amateurs connus et passionnés. L’intégrité de sa mécanique comme de sa carrosserie est au-dessus de toute critique. En son temps, le Type 18 d’Ettore Bugatti fut une voiture à part, sa définition technique étant indubitablement de la main du « Patron » et à l’évidence annonciatrice de ses réalisations futures.

Dans les années 1900, Bugatti avait travaillé pour Mathis, Hermes, Deutz, Isotta Fraschini et Fiat et le moteur cinq litres Type 18 refléta quelques caractéristiques techniques abordées chez Fiat et Isotta Fraschini. La Bugatti cinq litres aurait vu le jour en 1912. La première voiture de la série, châssis n° 471, fut utilisée intensément en compétition par Ettore lui-même cette année-là. La n° 472 fut livrée neuve à Paris, la n° 473 à Alfred Schoenlinde, ami personnel d’Ettore et la n° 474, proposée ici, au grand aviateur Roland Garros.

Ce fut de la part de Bugatti un incontestable « coup » promotionnel que la livraison à Garros de cette voiture le 18 septembre 1913. L’aviation était encore dans l’enfance et les aviateurs dont chaque vol était une aventure étaient des héros et des célébrités, notamment Roland Garros, fasciné par la vitesse, passant du sport cycliste à l’aviation en 1910. En 1911, il prit la deuxième place de la course Paris-Rome, en 1912, il remporta aux commande d’un Blériot le Grand Prix d’Anjou et connut fin septembre 1913 la gloire internationale en traversant la Méditerranée avec un Morane-Saulnier. Le fait que le déjà très célèbre aviateur de 25 ans eût choisi une nouvelle Bugatti cinq litres à chaînes fut un hommage au jeune constructeur et la consécration de son talent.

Sur le plan technique, la n° 474 est un fascinant témoignage de l’apparition des solutions qui renaîtront sur la planche à dessin de Bugatti. Le moteur à quatre cylindres de 5 027 cm3 (alésage 100 mm/course 160 mm) était doté d’un unique arbre à cames en tête entraîné par un arbre vertical à l’avant du vilebrequin à trois paliers. L’importance accordée par Bugatti au remplissage du moteur lui fit adopter deux soupapes d’admission et une d’échappement par cylindre. La puissance revendiquée était de 100 ch à 2 400 tr/min. Le couple était transmis par un embrayage multidisque métallique à une boîte à quatre rapports et marche arrière et la transmission finale s’effectuait par deux chaînes exposées. Contrairement à la pratique de l’époque, Bugatti adopta une suspension avant par des ressorts semi-elliptiques doubles et à l’arrière des ressorts quart-elliptiques inversés, solution promise à un brillant avenir à Molsheim. Potentiellement, la Type 18 pouvait atteindre 160 km/h, mais les performances dépendaient du rapport de transmission adopté en changeant simplement les pignons de chaîne.

Garros prit donc livraison d’une voiture extrêmement puissante qu’il fit habiller par la Carrosserie Henri-Labourdette en biplace sport avec sièges décalés pour augmenter la largeur aux coudes afin de mieux maîtriser le véhicule à grande vitesse quand son mécanicien personnel, Jules Hue, l’accompagnait. Pendant la guerre, Garros fut fait prisonnier, s’évada et fut tué en combat aérien en 1918. La voiture passa aux mais d’un ami pilote, Audemars, puis échut à Louis Coatalen, ingénieur en chef chez Sunbeam en Angleterre. Coatalen connaissait probablement Garros et sa voiture et on ne peut s’empêcher de penser que l’achat de la n° 474 fut lié à une démarche relevant peut-être de l’espionnage industriel. Quelle raison pouvait en effet pousser Coatalen à acquérir cette voiture quand il avait à sa disposition toutes les ressources des départements courses et moteurs aéronautiques des puissantes usines Sunbeam, sinon de vouloir apprécier à leur juste valeur les solutions d’Ettore Bugatti ?

L’histoire de la voiture n° 474 en compétition prit de l’ampleur quand la voiture fut achetée par la femme pilote Ivy Cummings, conductrice audacieuse pratiquant un sport alors plein de dangers et presque exclusivement réservé aux hommes. Son père, Sydney Cummings qui dirigeait une grande affaire automobile à Fulham Road (Londres), encouragea les exploits automobiles de sa fille. Ivy Cummings pilota des Vauxhall 30/98, Bugatti Brescia, Newton, Frazer Nash et le GN « Akela » en signant de belles performances en courses de côte et dans des épreuves routières dans les années 1920. Si la Bugatti Brescia seize soupapes fut une de ses voitures favorites, elle sauta littéralement sur l’occasion d’acquérir la n° 474 qui, en sa possession, reçut le surnom de Black Bess du nom du cheval du légendaire brigand Dick Turpin.

Le comportement dynamique de la n° 474 associé à la force du moteur cinq litres explique pourquoi cette voiture demeura compétitive aux mains de Cummings quelque dix ans après sa sortie d’usine. Cummings obtint de nombreuses victoires au volant de Black Bess en courses de côte et épreuves de vitesse pure.

Ivy Cummings vendit Black Bess en 1925 à L. H. Preston, alors étudiant à Oxford, qui prolongea sa carrière en compétition et réalisa un tour à Brooklands à la moyenne de 90,06 mph (144,90 km/h) confirmant ainsi la vitesse de 160 km/h dont la voiture était capable en ligne droite. En 1936, Black Bess passa aux mains du jeune comédien James Robertson Justice, pilote amateur au talent certain, qui en confia la préparation au garage de McEvoy, près de Derby. On sait qu’après une carrière active en compétition, la voiture avait alors besoin d’une reconstruction et de réparations importantes au carter de la boîte de vitesses. McEvoy, engagé dans la préparation de la McEvoy Special en vue des 500 Miles du BRDC 1933 à Brooklands n’acheva pas les travaux prévus sur la n° 474.

C’est en 1933 que le jeune Bill Boddy, futur rédacteur en chef de Motor Sport découvrit Black Bess dans les ateliers de McEvoy, fatiguée, mais dans un remarquable état d’origine. Boddy raconta sa « découverte » dans Bugantics et son article détermina le colonel G. M. Giles, membre fondateur et vice-président du Bugatti Owners’ Club à racheter cette voiture en mai 1935. Il en commença la restauration en conservant un maximum d’éléments d’origine et fit installer des amortisseurs à friction, un éclairage électrique et une instrumentation qui aurait impressionné l’aviateur Garros. La restauration de la carrosserie fut confiée à Bertelli. Black Bess conduite par le Colonel mena la parade des Bugatti au rallye inaugural de la nouvelle course de côte du BOC à Prescott en 1938. Le Colonel et son frère Eric avaient engagé Black Bess dans de nombreuses épreuves du VSCC et du BOC avant la guerre, mais dès 1938, il fallut changer de monture et Black Bess avec un moteur de rechange et le châssis de la n° 471 fut mise en vente pour 200 livres. Rodney Clark, fanatique de Bugatti et ex propriétaire d’un Grand Prix Type 59, continua d’engager Black Bess dans des compétitions historiques après 1945, la voiture, malgré son moteur relativement petit, tenant tête aisément à l’Itala géante de 12 litres de Clutton, à la Fiat 10 litres de Heal et à la Mercedes GP 1914 de Peter Clark.

Le chapitre suivant de l’histoire de l’illustre Black Bess commence en avril 1948 quand, pour la somme de 400 livres, elle entra dans la collection de Peter Hampton qui recélait déjà bien d’autres grandes Bugatti. Dans ses luxueux garages de « Spronketts », Hampton démonta la voiture et confia la reconstruction du moteur à Jack Playford. Tous les autres organes de la voiture furent reconditionnés et Hampton fit installer un démarreur. Le frein à pied fut modifié de façon à agir sur les roues arrière à la place du levier à main en raison de la blessure au bras droit reçue par Hampton pendant la guerre. Ce dernier fit mettre la voiture aux normes habituelles des concours d’élégance et garda la voiture de 1948 à 1988 en l’engageant avec succès dans diverses épreuves et manifestations réservées à ce type d’automobile.

Le propriétaire actuel acquit la voiture auprès de Peter Hampton en 1988. Cette importante automobile n’aurait pu trouver un meilleur maître capable d’apprécier à la fois son caractère original, son histoire limpide et son comportement performant. Pendant cette période, elle fut méticuleusement entretenue autant par son propriétaire que par le « gourou » des Bugatti, Ivan Dutton et, point important, elle fut équipée de roues et de pneus à talons, plus conformes à l’origine, et de nouvelles ailes style Garros à la place des garde-boue installés à l’époque par le Colonel Giles.

À propos de cette voiture, le regretté Cecil Clutton écrivit : « Dans l’ensemble, c’est une voiture fantastique à la fois du fait de ses avancées techniques et de son histoire ». Kent Karslake dit de son côté : « De toutes les Bugatti que j’ai conduites, Black Bess est, je crois, ma préférée » . Bill Boddy, déjà cité comme ancien rédacteur en chef de Motor Sport, a écrit en 1993 un ouvrage définitif sur Black Bess (publié chez Aries Press Ltd.) et ses travaux ont servi de base à la présentation de cette voiture au catalogue.

Il reste peu de grandes voitures nées avant 1914 en état d’origine et accompagnées d’une historique aussi long et documenté en compétition. Le Musée national de l’Automobile – Collection Schlumpf à Mulhouse possède la Bugatti n° 715, une des trois Type 18 survivantes. La voiture n° 471, voiture assemblée à partir du châssis et du moteur rachetés en même temps que Black Bess et vendue par Rodney Clark à Peter Hampton, fait partie d’une collection privée. La « Bugatti Roland Garros » qui reste la plus célèbre des cinq-litres, a toutes les qualités pour reparaître en compétition en étendant son palmarès ou compléter de façon prestigieuse une collection consacrée à l’histoire de Bugatti.

Estimation : Consulter la Maison de Vente


Surely the most significant of all pre-Great War Bugattis, the ‘Roland Garros Bugatti’ is one of just seven Type 18s built and one of only three known surviving examples. The impeccable continuous history of this car is unquestioned through a series of enthusiast owners from new and the integrity of both mechanical components and coachwork is beyond reproach. In its day Ettore Bugatti’s Type 18 was in a class of its own, its technical specification unmistakeably from the hand of Le Patron and clearly bearing some of the hallmarks of things to come.

Bugatti had been involved with Mathis, Hermes, Deutz, Isotta-Fraschini and Fiat in the first decade of the 20th Century and the 5-litre Type 18 Bugatti engine reflected particularly design features from Fiat and Isotta-Fraschini. Bugatti’s 5-litre car is thought to have made its debut in 1912. The first car in the series, no. 471, was actively campaigned by Ettore in competition in 1912. No. 472 was delivered new to Paris, no. 473 was delivered new to Alfred Hielle of Schoenlinde, a close friend of Ettore, while no. 474 – this car – was supplied to the renowned aviator, Roland Garros.

It was an undoubted marketing coup for Bugatti when Garros took delivery of no. 474. on 18th September 1913. Aviation was in its infancy at that time and aircraft had not yet been flown in combat. Every single flight was an adventure and pioneer aviators, risking their life on each flight, were national heroes and celebrities. Ettore Bugatti mixed in social circles with the likes of Louis Bleriot, Dr Espanet and Roland Garros – famed aviators and national heroes all. Garros had a fascination with speed from his school days and graduated from competitive cycling to flying in 1910. In 1911 he took 2nd place in the Rome Air Rally, in 1912, at the controls of a Bleriot, he took the victor’s laurels in the 1912 Grand Prix d’Anjou and that same year crossed the Mediterranean in a Morane-Saulnier. That the celebrated 25 year old Garros should take delivery of a new 5-litre, chain-driven Bugatti was the ultimate compliment and an undoubted ‘feather-in-the-cap’ for Le Patron.

Technically no. 474 is fascinating and a precursor of things to come from Bugatti’s design board. The four-cylinder engine displaced 5,027cc (bore 100mm and stroke 160mm) and the single overhead camshaft was driven by a vertical shaft from the front of the three bearing crankshaft. Bugatti’s appreciation of the importance of the induction side of the engine resulted in two inlet valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder. Some 100bhp was claimed at 2,400rpm. Drive is transmitted through a multi-plate, metal-to-metal clutch to a four-speed and reverse gearbox, with final drive by exposed side-chains. Discounting contemporary convention, Bugatti adopted double semi-elliptic leaf front springs and reversed quarter elliptic rear springs – shades of things to come. Potentially the Type 18 had a top speed of 100mph but performance could be readily varied by the simple expedient of changing chain sprockets.

So Garros took delivery of a mighty exciting motor car which he no doubt drove in spirited fashion. Garros had commissioned Labourdette to build the sporting two-seater coachwork, with offset seating allowing him maximum elbow-room when driving the car at full song with his personal mechanic Jules Hue in the passenger seat. During hostilities Garros was captured as a prisoner-of-war and no. 474 was loaned to fellow-pilot Audemars. The car subsequently passed to Louis Coatalen, then Chief Engineer at Sunbeam in England. Coatalen most probably knew Garros and his motor car and one cannot help thinking that a little industrial espionage was linked to the purchase of no. 474. Why else would Coatalen buy this car when the full resources of Sunbeam’s motor racing and aero-engine departments were at his disposal? Again perhaps this was the ultimate compliment to Ettore Bugatti’s Type 18.

No. 474’s competition history really developed when the car was acquired by lady racing driver Ivy Cummings. Cummings was a fearless driver in a dangerous sport which was almost exclusively the domain of male sportsmen. Her father, Sydney Cummings, ran a motor emporium in Fulham Road, London, and encouraged his daughter’s motor racing exploits. Ivy Cummings campaigned a Coupe de L’Auto Sunbeam, a Vauxhall 30/98, Brescia Bugatti, Newton, Frazer Nash and GN Akela with a significant degree of success in speed hill climbs and road events in the 1920’s. Although the 16-valve Brescia Bugatti which she had successfully campaigned was a favourite, she eagerly grasped the opportunity to acquire and campaign no. 474. It was during her ownership that no. 474 was named ‘Black Bess’, after Dick Turpin’s legendary horse.

The handling qualities of no. 474, combined with the sheer grunt from the 5-litre engine, saw this car remain competitive in the hands of Cummings some ten years after its manufacture. Cummings was to achieve many successes at the wheel of ‘Black Bess’ in hillclimbs and speed events at such celebrated 1920’s venues as Kop Hill, South Harting, Octon Bank and the Bexhill Speed Trials. Bill Boddy records that Sammy Davis, Bentley driver at Le Mans and Sports Editor of The Autocar, drove ‘Black Bess’ during Cummings’ ownership.

Ivy Cummings finally sold ‘Black Bess’ in 1925 to Oxford student L H Preston. Preston continued the car’s active competitive career, campaigning it that year at Brooklands, achieving an outstanding lap speed of 90.06mph and clearly demonstrating the car’s 100mph performance on the straight. In 1926 ‘Black Bess’ passed into the ownership of budding young actor James Robertson Justice, an amateur driver of no mean ability. Justice delivered the car for competition preparation to McEvoy’s garage near Derby and it was reported that, following a highly competitive career, the car would need extensive overhaul and significant repairs to the gearbox casing. McEvoy was deeply involved in preparing the McEvoy Special for the 1933 BRDC 500 Mile Race at Brooklands and the work on no. 474 was never completed.

It was in 1933 that a youthful Bill Boddy, later to become Editor of Motor Sport, discovered ‘Black Bess’ in McEvoy’s works, in tired but remarkably original condition. Boddy recorded his ‘find’ in Bugantics and as a result of that article Col. G M Giles, founder member and Vice President of the Bugatti Owners’ Club, was to acquire this car in May 1935. He embarked on restoration, retaining its outstanding originality wherever possible and at that stage fitting friction shock absorbers, electric lighting and adding dashboard instrumentation which would have mightily impressed aviator Garros. Restoration of the coachwork was entrusted to Bertelli. ‘Black Bess’, driven by the Colonel, led a cavalcade of Bugattis to the Opening Rally at the BOC’s new hill climb venue at Prescott in 1938. The Colonel and his brother Eric were to campaign ‘Black Bess’ in VSCC and BOC events most actively in pre-war years, however in 1938 it was time to move on and ‘Black Bess’, together with a spare engine and the chassis from no. 471, were advertised for sale for just £200. Rodney Clarke, avid Bugatti enthusiast and one time owner of a Type 59 Grand Prix car, was to continue ‘Black Bess’s’ successes in Edwardian events in post-war years, no. 474, despite its comparatively small engine, mixing comfortably with the likes of Clutton’s giant 12-litre Itala, Heal’s 10-litre Fiat and Peter Clark’s 1914 Grand Prix Mercedes.

The next chapter in ‘Black Bess’s’ illustrious history began in April 1948 when, with the exchange of just £400, it passed into the collection of Peter Hampton, joining other highly significant Bugattis in that remarkable stable. Hampton stripped the car in his luxury motor house at ‘Spronketts’ and commissioned Jack Playford to rebuild the engine. All other aspects of the car were fully addressed and Hampton was to fit a self-starter. The foot brake was modified to operate on the rear wheels rather than on the hand brake, to accommodate Hampton’s wartime right arm injury. The car was presented to Hampton’s usual concours d’élégance-winning standards. Hampton was to own ‘Black Bess’ from 1948 to 1988, campaigning the faithful warrior actively in appropriate events with considerable success.

The present owner, a long-time Bugatti enthusiast and owner, acquired the car from Hampton in 1988. This important car could not have found a better home, its new owner cherishing both the originality of this car, its outstanding continuous history and its remarkable driving performance. During this ownership it has been meticulously maintained by both its owner and Bugatti ‘guru’, Ivan Dutton. Importantly, during the present ownership more correct beaded edge wheels and tyres have been fitted and new Garros-style wings crafted, replacing the less correct mudguards which Col. Giles had fitted during his ownership.

Writing of this car, the late Cecil Clutton said, “altogether, this is a very wonderful car, both on account of its advanced design and honourable history”. The late Kent Karslake reported, “for of all the Bugattis I have driven, ‘Black Bess’ is, I think, my favourite”. Bill Boddy, aforementioned past Editor of Motor Sport, wrote the definitive work on ‘Black Bess’ in 1993, published by Aries Press Ltd, and his researches are acknowledged in the cataloguing of this car.

There are but a handful of significant important pre-Great War motor cars surviving in original condition with such an impressive and long competition history. The Schlumpf Collection at Mulhouse – now the French National Motor Museum – own Bugatti no.715, one of the three remaining Type 18s. No. 471, a car assembled from the chassis and engine acquired with ‘Black Bess’ and passed from Rodney Clarke to Peter Hampton, survives in private ownership. The ‘Roland Garros Bugatti’ is best known of all and is well placed to take its place once again in competition, extending its impeccable pedigree and provenance, or indeed completing the Bugatti story in a significant motor car collection.

Estimate upon request


Saleroom notices

  • It should be noted that this car has a five main bearing crankshaft and not a three bearing crankshaft as catalogued.
Activities
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.