1957 Talbot Lago T14S,
Lot 109
Coming from the Private Collection of Jean-Michel Cérède,1957 Talbot Lago T14S Chassis no. 140049
Sold for €71,300 (US$ 90,329) inc. premium

Lot Details
1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S, 1957 Talbot Lago T14S,
Coming from the Private Collection of Jean-Michel Cérède
1957 Talbot Lago T14S
Chassis no. 140049
La Talbot-Lago T.14 S est le dernier modèle produit par les usines Talbot de Suresnes, avant que cette grande marque française ne soit rachetée par Simca.
Il a été produit en 56 exemplaires seulement avec le moteur Talbot de 2,5 litres, deux rangées de soupapes en tête, inclinées à 45°. Onze exemplaire supplémentaires, dits « America » ont été fabriqués et munis de moteurs BMW, et trois autres avec moteurs Simca.
La carrosserie de cette rare voiture a été dessinée par le styliste Carlo Delaisse. Particulièrement réussie on est encore surpris qu’elle date des années cinquante, tant elle est intemporelle et semble être toujours « moderne ».

Alimenté par deux carburateurs double corps horizontaux Weber, le moteur 4 cylindres de 2.491 cm3, alésage course 89,5 x 99mm. Développe une puissance de 120 cv. à 5000 tr/mn. Les freins sont hydrauliques, à tambours et la direction est à droite comme sur toutes les voitures sportives d’avant guerre : il fallait déplacer le centre de gravité vers la droite pour les courses sur circuit fermé qui se courraient dans le sens des aiguilles d’une montre.
L’exemplaire présenté, n°140.049 est donc la 49e voiture de la série des 56 T.14 S. L’actuel propriétaire l’a achetée en 1966 à un particulier par l’intermédiaire de Georges Grignard, ancien pilote de Talbot, Président de l’Amicale des Coureurs Indépendants, qui avait repris le stock des pièces Talbot lors de la fermeture des Usines.
Depuis 1966, cet exemplaire a été normalement entretenu par son utilisateur. Elle a été repeinte bleu clair métallisé, sa couleur d’origine alors qu’elle était rouge lors de l’acquisition. Durant les quelques 60 000kms parcourus, plusieurs révisions ont été effectuées : freins, allumage et carburation. Le pont arrière a été ouvert suite à la rupture d’un rivet, l’embrayage a été refait, et la boite de vitesse révisée – A noter cependant que le synchro entre les 2e et 3e rapports ne fonctionne pas parfaitement et devient bruyant à haut régime.
Actuellement la voiture est équipée de sièges confortables en cuir provenant d’une Rover 3,5 litres. Les sièges d’origine sont fournis.

Outre l’utilisation quotidienne, promenade ou affaires, cette Talbot a participé à plusieurs rallyes et sorties du Club Talbot en Bretagne, en Normandie, le dernier étant organisé pour la sortie annuelle de l’Association des Grands Marques. La voiture a toujours accompli ces trajets sans incidents.
Ce 49e exemplaire (sur 56) de la dernière création d’Anthony Lago est indiscutablement un très beau spécimen de ce que savaient construire les grandes Marques et les grands carrossiers français et mérite à ce titre de figurer comme objet de collection et l’un des derniers témoins de cette belle et fastueuse époque.



The Talbot-Lago marque came into being in 1935 when Major A E ‘Tony’ Lago, a trained engineer who had risen to become head of Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq’s French operations, purchased the French branch of the bankrupted STD combine, which had been taken over by Rootes. He immediately set about introducing a new range of six-cylinder models featuring advanced overhead-valve engines in a range of capacities. For these new engines, designer Walter Becchia used pushrod-operated valves set in hemispherical combustion chambers for maximum efficiency, and this pattern of cylinder head would become a Talbot hallmark. Of the new models, it was the T150C or ‘Lago Special’ that brought the new company to the public’s attention. The Lago Special was powered by what was effectively a Grand Prix engine, specially designed for the short-lived French Sports Car Grand Prix formula that had been introduced in 1936.

During WW2 a new twin-camshaft ‘2AC’ engine of 4.5 litres was designed, which after the war’s end was used to power Talbot-Lago’s successful Grand Prix monoposto and Louis Rosier’s 1950 Le Mans winner. In keeping with Talbot-Lago tradition, this state-of-the art power unit was also used for the company’s flagship road car, the rare and exotic short-chassis Grand Sport, which for a while was the most powerful and fastest sports car available. By this time however, the punitive taxation rates levied on larger cars were having a disastrous effect on Talbot’s finances: in 1950 the firm sold 433 cars but only 81 in 1951. Even the launch of a new 2.7-litre ‘Baby’ failed to stem the tide and the model was withdrawn after a few years of disappointing sales.

The firm’s ‘last gasp’ was the pretty T14LS coupé (also known as the 2500 Sport), introduced in 1954, which featured a new tubular chassis and was powered by a 2.5-litre four constructed along typical Talbot-Lago lines. Beautifully proportioned, the body was the work of stylist, Carlo Delaisse, coachbuilder Letourneur et Marchand’s chief designer. A total of 54 T14s had been sold before it was decided to up-rate the model with BMW’s overhead-valve V8 engine in an attempt to stimulate sales in the USA, and 17 examples to this ‘Lago America’ specification were completed between 1957 and 1959. In the latter year, Talbot-Lago was taken over by Simca, which fitted its Ford-derived sidevalve V8 to the remaining handful of chassis. It was a sad end to a once-great French marque.

Jean-Michel Cérède purchased this Talbot-Lago T14LS on 8th May 1966 from François Elvinger via Georges Grignard, an ex-Talbot works driver. The car is currently registered in Paris, ‘7986 QJ 75’, a registration it has had since 1964. Red when acquired, it has since been repainted in light blue, the original colour. Maintenance has been undertaken by Carrosserie Gervais, Clichy Carburation and Automobiles d’Antan, while Rover seats are currently fitted within the passenger compartment, these being more comfortable for rallies and long journeys. (The original seats are included in the sale). We are advised that the synchromesh between 2nd and 3rd gears will need some attention, but the car nevertheless runs well. Presented in original condition, this rare and stylish Gran Turismo comes with its French Carte Grise issued in 1966.
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items