The ex-Turin Motor Show,1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series Coupé  Chassis no. B20S 1134 Engine no. B20 4146
Lot 106
The ex-Turin Motor Show,1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series Coupé Chassis no. B20S 1134 Engine no. B20 4146
Sold for €69,000 (US$ 86,822) inc. premium

Lot Details
The ex-Turin Motor Show,1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series Coupé  Chassis no. B20S 1134 Engine no. B20 4146 The ex-Turin Motor Show,1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series Coupé  Chassis no. B20S 1134 Engine no. B20 4146 The ex-Turin Motor Show,1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series Coupé  Chassis no. B20S 1134 Engine no. B20 4146
The ex-Turin Motor Show
1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series Coupé
Coachwork by Pinin Farina

Chassis no. B20S 1134
Engine no. B20 4146
La fabrication du châssis n° 1134 commença le 17 janvier 1955. La voiture fut essayée sur route le 7 mars et achevée le lendemain. Une des premières des 255 B20 4e série à conduite à gauche produite en 1955, cette voiture fut exposée la même année au Salon de Turin où elle fut vendue à un Américain et, avant d’être exportée à Pebble Beach (Californie), elle fut modifiée dans les atelier du Signor Volpini.

Le moteur bénéficia du montage d’une tubulure d’admission Nardi à deux carburateurs, d’un arbre à cames spécial, de bielles polies et de ressorts « additionnels » au-dessus des poussoirs. Les freins furent améliorés (voir ci-dessous) et on monta des roues Borrani à rayons fils.

En 1958 la voiture fut achetée par M. Paul Morlang qui décida en 1990 de la remettre en état. Il fit refaire le moteur selon des spécifications supérieures à celles d’origine en adoptant des pistons forgés fournis par Arias, des segments Hastings, des coussinets modernes et une chaîne de distribution neuve, tandis que l’arbre à cames et les poussoirs étaient d’une qualité « bien supérieure à l’origine ». De plus, les deux culasses furent surfacées, les parois intérieures du carter d’huile et du carter de vilebrequin peintes au Rustoleum (ainsi que les surfaces accessibles des chemises d’eau et des chemises de cylindres) et le filtre à huile d’origine fut remplacé par un grand filtre centrifuge (Fram PH-8) monté sur une embase modifiée. En même temps, des canalisations de frein rigides en inox et un maître cylindres neuf furent connectés au pédalier reconstruit.

En 1998, le propriétaire actuel acheta la voiture à Mme Beverly Morlang et l’importa au Royaume-Uni en juin. Elle fut prise en charge aux docks de Felixstowe par le spécialiste de la marque, Omicron Classics, de Mulbarton près de Norwich, qui en commença la restauration. On s’aperçut que le moteur ne fonctionnait pas et qu’il avait été équipé d’un allumage électronique et d’un alternateur. Ces systèmes furent démontés et remplacés par un allumage normal de B20, une dynamo Bosch 30 ampères (dans ce cas retournée pour être adaptée au bloc de la B20 avec modification de l’arbre et inversion du sens de rotation), un régulateur et une bobine Bosch et une poulie de Volkswagen avec réglage par cales d’épaisseur.

D’autres pièces neuves furent montées : raccord supérieur, thermostat et bouchon de radiateur, chauffage et durits de raccordement, cloche en verre de filtre à essence et canalisations d’alimentation et un réservoir de liquide de lave-glace en aluminium type original transformé pour fonctionner électriquement et alimenter la pompe du lave-glace au moyen d’un relais. Les contacteurs, câbles et instruments redondants furent supprimés.

La réfection des freins fut un chantier important. Installés par Signor Volpini dans son atelier, les tambours avant à ailettes Girling légèrement modifiés supposés provenir d’une Alfa Romeo 1900 ont un diamètre de 12 pouces et une largeur de 3 pouces, tandis que les cylindres récepteurs avant sont des Qualcast. Les segments furent regarnis et les cylindres reconditionnés. Les cylindres arrière se révélèrent être des cylindres avant d’Aurelia étagés de 28/30 mm d’alésage.

Depuis l’achèvement de cette restauration, la voiture a été régulièrement entretenue par Peter Harding de Classic Restorations et un dossier complet donnant le détail des opérations effectuées sera fourni avec tous les autres documents concernant cette voiture. Peinte en noir avec intérieur en cuir havane, cette Lancia B20 sensiblement améliorée se présente en condition « A1 » accompagnée de ses factures de travaux, de son document d’immatriculation V5 de Swansea et de son contrôle technique (MoT) valable jusqu’en octobre 2009.


Introduced in 1907, Vincenzo Lancia’s first car showed an independence of thought and defiance of convention that would remain associated with the marque well into the modern era.

Lancia recommenced production after WW2 with the Aprilia and its smaller cousin the Ardea, but waiting in the wings was yet another groundbreaking design: the Aurelia. Lancia’s classic Aurelia, the first car ever to employ a V6 engine, was launched at the 1950 Turin Motor Show. Designed in wartime by Francesco de Virgilio, the 1,754cc 60-degree V6 was of all-aluminium construction and used overhead valves operated via short pushrods instead of Lancia’s traditional overhead camshafts. An advanced unitary construction design, the Aurelia retained Lancia’s ‘sliding pillar’ independent front suspension, first seen on the Lambda, but used a novel semi-trailing-arm layout at the rear, another world first. The transmission too, was unusual, comprising a two-piece prop-shaft and combined gearbox/rear transaxle on which were mounted the inboard brakes, though for once this was not an entirely new departure.

The B10 saloon was joined the following year by the Pinin Farina-styled B20 Coupé, a fastback ‘2+2’ on a shortened wheelbase which, with its combination of sports car performance and saloon car practicality, can be said to have introduced the Gran Turismo concept to the world. The Aurelia engine had been increased to 1,991cc in 1951 and it was this unit in up-rated form that went into the B20. Lighter and higher geared than the saloon, the B20 was good for a top speed of over 100mph. Introduced in 1953, the 3rd and subsequent series B20s were powered by a 2,451cc, 118bhp version of the pushrod V6, while 4th-series onwards cars had De Dion rear suspension instead of the original semi-trailing-arm arrangement. An engineering tour de force clothed in sublime coachwork by Italy’s foremost carrozzeria, the Aurelia B20 represents for many the zenith of Lancia’s post-war production.

Construction of chassis number ‘1134’ commenced on 17th January 1955, the car being road tested on 7th March and finally completed the next day. One of the earliest of 255 left-hand drive 4th-series B20s built in 1955, this car was exhibited at the Turin Motor Show of that year. It was sold during the show to an American and modified at Signor Volpini’s workshop prior to being exported to Pebble Beach, California, USA.

The engine was modified by the addition of a Nardi twin-carburettor inlet manifold; a different camshaft; polished connecting rods; and ‘helper springs’ above the cam followers. The brakes were upgraded (see below) and Borrani wire wheels fitted.

In 1958 the car was bought by Mr Pahl Morlang, who in 1990 decided to refurbish it. At Mr Morlan’s instigation the engine was rebuilt to better-than-original specification, incorporating new forged pistons from Arias; Hastings piston rings; modern bearings; and a new timing chain, while the camshaft and lifters were ‘returned to far better than new.’ In addition, the two cylinder heads were surfaced; the internal surfaces of the sump and crankcase painted with Rustoleum (together with the accessible parts of the water jackets and sleeves); and the original canister oil filter replaced by a large spin-on filter (Fram PH-8) on a modified mounting. At the same time, new stainless brake pipes and a new master cylinder were connected to a rebuilt pedal assembly.

In 1998 the current owner purchased the Aurelia from Mrs Beverly Morlang and the car was imported into the UK in June of that year. It was collected from the Felixstowe docks by marque specialists, Omicron Classics, of Mulbarton near Norwich where a major restoration was commenced. There it was discovered that the engine was not running and that it had been modified to accept electronic ignition and an alternator. These were removed and replaced by a standard B20 distributor, plug leads and caps; a Bosch 30A dynamo (its case turned down to fit the B20’s block, shaft altered and direction of rotation reversed); Bosch voltage regulator and coil; and Volkswagen shimmed pulley adjustment system.
Other new parts fitted included the radiator’s upper water connection, thermostat and heater tap; the heater and associated hoses; the glass fuel filter bowl and fuel lines; and an original-type aluminium washer bottle, which has been converted to electrical operation and connected to the washer pump via a relay. Redundant electrical switches, instruments and wiring were removed.

Overhauling the brakes was a major task. Fitted by Signor Volpini at his workshop and believed to be slightly modified Girling units from an Alfa Romeo 1900, the finned front drums are of 12” diameter and 3” width, while the front slave cylinders are Qualcast units. The brake shoes were renewed and the front slave cylinders comprehensively reconditioned. The rear slave cylinders were found to be stepped Aurelia front cylinders with 28/30mm bores.

Since the restoration’s completion, the car has been regularly maintained by Mr Peter Harding of Classic Restorations, and a comprehensive folder detailing this work is supplied together with all other relevant documentation. Finished in black with tan leather interior, this sensibly upgraded Lancia B20 is presented in ‘A1’ condition and offered with sundry restoration invoices, UK Swansea V5 registration document and MoT to October 2009.


Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items