1936 Delage D6-60 Sports Saloon
Coachwork by Letourneur et Marchand
Chassis no. 50353
Engine no. 50353
Vendue neuve en France (avec direction à droite comme toutes les grandes routières françaises davant guerre) cette berline sport Delage D6-60 carrossée par Letourneur et Marchand fut achetée par son propriétaire actuel en 2002. Restaurée sur les quatre dernières années, la voiture a conservé sa carrosserie dorigine et son intérieur qui apparaissent en très bon état. La partie mécanique na demandé aucune réparation. Le vendeur fait savoir que les ressorts arrière ont été renforcés et les amortisseurs et les freins refaits en fonction de lutilisation dune petite remorque à bagages. Peinte en bleu avec un intérieur bleu et blanc, la voiture se présente dans un sympathique état dorigine avec sa manivelle, sa roue de secours, sa carte grise française et son document dimmatriculation V5 de Swansea et son contrôle technique (MoT) britanniques en cours de validité.
Delage have to their credit many worlds records, including a worlds championship, and more awards at the principal Concours dElegance than any other car in the world
To these achievements Delage have added a third and greater. They have made the highest known degree of luxury and performance available at the price the average motorist can pay.
Delages publicity had every right to sing the praises of what, arguably, was the finest French car of its day. Founded in 1905 by Louis Delage, the company commenced production with a single-cylinder De Dion-engined runabout and within a few years was offering multi-cylinder designs. The publicity value of racing was recognised right from the start, a single-cylinder Delage winning the Coupe Des Voiturettes as early as 1908 and Louis himself taking the 1911 Coupe de lAuto in a 3.0-litre four-cylinder. Victories at the Grand Prix du Mans and the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race were achieved prior to WWI, the company going on to become a major force in Grand Prix racing in the 1920s and setting a new World Land Speed Record mark in 1924 with a 10.7-litre overhead-valve V12.
Four-cylinder DI and six-cylinder DM cars formed the mainstay of touring-car production in the 1920s, and then at the 1929 Paris Salon Delage launched the magnificent 4-litre D8 straight-eight, a model destined to attract the creative attentions of Europes finest coachbuilders: Figoni et Falaschi, Henri Chapron and Fernandes et Darrin to name but three. For those of more modest means, there were the 14hp DS and 17hp D6 six-cylinder models; the latter in effect a D8 minus two cylinders.
Delage, along with many other manufacturers of quality cars, was badly affected by the economic downturn of the early 1930s and in 1935 was taken over by Delahaye. Prior to this misfortune, Louis Delage had persuaded Arthur-Léon Michelat to return to the company, for whom he would design a new range of overhead-valve engines in an attempt to restore its fortunes. Following the take-over by Delahaye in 1935, Delages were built to Delahaye designs but retained their own superior short-stroke engines and hydraulic brakes.
Sold new in France, though right-hand drive like most quality French cars of the period, this Delage D6-60 sports saloon with coachwork by Letourneur et Marchand was acquired by the current owner in 2002. Refurbished over the course of the past four years, the car retains its original coachwork and interior and is described as in generally very good condition, its mechanicals having required no remedial work. The vendor advises us that the rear suspension leaf springs have been up-rated and the rear brakes and shock absorbers overhauled to facilitate the towing of a small luggage trailer. Finished in blue with blue/white interior, the car is presented in lovely original condition and comes complete with starting handle, spare wheel, French Carte Grise, UK Swansea V5 registration document and current MoT.