A rare mid 17th Century large oak six leg refectory table
Lot 380
A rare mid 17th Century large oak six leg refectory table
Sold for £10,320 (US$ 17,346) inc. premium
Lot Details
A rare mid 17th Century large oak six leg refectory table
The twin plank cleated top above a lunette and leaf carved rail to one side, raised on six turned legs linked by stretchers. 371cm wide x 85cm deep x 77cm high, (146" wide x 33" deep x 30" high)

Saleroom notices

  • The underside of this table is punched with the inscription 'JOHN SALE HINXWORTH PLACE 1711' It also bears a pencil inscription 'Mary Elizabeth Sale Constance Rose Sale Exors 1938' and to replacement bearer: 'Caldecote, Nov 1969...cut from tree at...near Saffron Walden' Hinxworth Place is a 15th and 16th Century stone manor house just outside the village of Hinxworth in Hertfordshire. The entrance to the building is recorded as having a stone doorway and two ‘spandrel shields…scratched with the arms of John Sales and his wife and the date 1870 (when they were tenants prior to purchasing the property in 1881).’ [Greater Medieval House of England and Wales, 1300 – 1500, by Anthony Emery (Cambridge, 1996), Vol. II pp. 257 – 8.] Although, therefore, no record has been found of Sale ownership of Hinxworth Place in the eighteenth century, when the table offered in this lot was inscribed, it is possible that the family were then tenant farmers rather than owners. The family were certainly living in the village prior to their purchase of the property in 1881, as the will of Edward Sale, resident at Hinxworth, was proved in 1841. [N.A., PROB 11, 1949.] Some architectural remodelling was undertaken at some point between 1600 and 1650, and if rebuilding occurred towards the end of this period, it is possible that the table offered in this lot formed part of a programme of refurbishment. There certainly was a large refectory-type table in the property in 1912, when it was recorded that the kitchen (the original hall of the building) was furnished with ‘a long narrow Jacobean oak table with heavy moulded legs’. [Victoria County History: A History of the County of Hertford III, (1912), pp.232 – 240.]
Activities