maker's mark "MR", unidentified, London 1764, of shaped circular outline with applied gadroon border, engraved with a coat of arms, diameter 24.5cm, weight 240oz. (12)
For mark see Grimwade, page 254 number 3585.
The arms are those of John Crewe (1742-1829), of Crewe Hall, Cheshire and his wife Francis Anne,(married 1766), daughter of Fulke Greville of Wilbury, Wilts. John Crewe was MP for Stafford (1765-68) and thereafter for Cheshire until created 1st Baron CREWE in 1806. Lord Crewe's father, also John, had earlier represented Cheshire in parliament but his only son, the 2nd Baron Crewe became a General in the Army.