no image
Lot 101*
An M.G.S. and Waterloo pair to Lieutenant Colonel W.Monins, 52nd Foot, late 18th Hussars,
Sold for £8,460 (US$ 14,219) inc. premium
Lot Details
An M.G.S. and Waterloo pair to Lieutenant Colonel W.Monins, 52nd Foot, late 18th Hussars,
Military General Service 1793-1814, three bars, Vimiera, Busaco, Fuentes D'Onor (W.Monins, Lieut 52nd Foot); Waterloo 1815, fitted with replacement silver clip and straight bar suspension (Lieut *illiam Monins, 18th Reg. Hussars.). Mounted as worn, and in a contemporary fitted with with a miniature Waterloo Medal and a commemorative Wellington medallion. The 8 of 18th very feint, otherwise very fine. (2)


  • Lieutenant Colonel William Monins was born on 20.2.1792, he was the eldest son of John Monins (late 43rd L.I.) of the Palace, Canterbury. He joined His Majesty's Service aged 16 on the 19th July 1808 as a Volunteer and was present at the Battle of Vimiera on 21st August, following under the then Sir Arthur Wellesley. He then advanced into Spain under the late Sir John Moore and accompanied the British Army on the Corunna retreat. Ensign without purchase August 1808. He returned to England with his Regiment in February 1809. Left again for Spain in May, landing at Lisbon with the Light Division under Major General Robert Crawford and joined the army under the Duke of Wellington at Talavera on the 20th July. He was subsequently engaged with the enemy upwards of twenty times and principally on the following occasions, Battle of the Coa, Montiago, skirmish near and battle of Busaco, Cocinbea and other affairs during the retreat of the army into the lines of the Torres Vedras 1810 and whilst in reoccupation of the outposts there with the light division. Lieutenant without purchase November 1810. On the retreat of the French Army under Massena, Lieutenant without purchase 3rd King's Own Dragoons 19 September 1811. He had various private issues and had to resign his commission and return to England in 1812 but was reappointed Cornet on 10th March 1815 by purchase to Cornet with the 18th Hussars. Became a member of the Army of Occupation in France. Lieutenant without purchase May 1817. He was placed on Half Pay on 25.3.1817, resigned 10.4.1817 and joined the East Kent Militia.

    Confirmed on roll for the MGS and later transferring to the 18th Hussars. Roll confirms him serving with Captain George Luard's Troop and that he was sick to Brussels.

    The lot includes assorted papers from the National Archives relating to his service, a copy of a letter where he indicates that he is a Major in the East Kent Regt.

    Please see lot 10 for the Waterloo medal awarded to his brother.
Lot symbols