1927 Böhmerland 603cc Langtouren
Engine no. 502
Czechoslovakia played an important role in the development of the European motorcycle industry from the earliest days of the 20th Century, being responsible for many innovatory designs. Indeed, the Czech firm of Laurin & Klement was one of the first to introduce a four-cylinder motorcycle, in 1905. One of Czechoslovakias more celebrated motorcycles is the improbable Böhmerland, which was manufactured from 1925 until 1939. Designed by Albin Liebisch, the Böhmerland was powered by a single-cylinder, air-cooled, four-stroke engine of 80x120mm bore/stroke for a capacity of 603cc. But whereas its overhead-valve motor was entirely conventional, the Böhmerlands advanced cycle parts were anything but, consisting of a lengthy, duplex-loop, tubular frame; coil-sprung, leading-link front fork; and - for the first time on a motorcycle - cast-alloy wheels. Models of varying wheelbase lengths were built, the most celebrated of which is the three-seater langtouren (long touring). All Böhmerlands were powered by Liebischs 603cc four-stroke single, the exception being a 348cc two-stroke model introduced in 1938 just before production ceased following the outbreak of war. It is believe that only some 30-or-so Böhmerlands exist worldwide today. Professor Ehn acquired this Böhmerland at the marques annual rally at Krasna Lipa in 2005. Described as in running condition and benefiting from an overhauled gearbox, this rare machine is offered with export documentation and certification of authenticity issued by the Czech National Museum of Technology in Brno.
- This machine is offered with a letter from the Brno Technical Institute stating that the machine is free to leave the Czech Republic, not a letter of authenticity as stated in the catalogue.
Auction terms and conditions