1934 BSA 499cc W34-7
Engine no. B7 549
During the 1930s its advertising slogan - One in Four is a BSA - reflected the Birmingham-based companys status as the worlds largest motorcycle manufacturer. In 1927 BSA had introduced the influential Sloper - so called because its inclined cylinder - starting a trend that saw many of its rivals launch similar machines. Nevertheless, models with vertical cylinders continued to form part of BSAs extensive range, outliving the Sloper when the fashion for inclined cylinders faded. The Depression of the early 1930s forced a cut back in the number of models, just ten being offered for 1932. Among these though, were three new 500s, one a sidevalve and two with overhead valves, all of which shared a common bottom end and the 85x88mm bore/stroke dimensions that would characterise all BSAs 500cc singles, including the legendary Gold Star, right up to the beginning of the unitary construction era in the 1960s. All featured engines having vertical cylinders and magneto ignition carried in conventional cycle parts with rigid frames and girder front forks. BSAs 500cc sidevalve was typed W34-7 for the 1934 season when this example was built. Original and unrestored, it was purchased by Professor Ehns father in 1972 and subsequently ridden by him. The machine is offered with technical data sheet and Austrian Einzelgenehmigung.
- This machine does NOT have a Einzelgenehmighung
- There are no documents accompanying this machine.
- This machine carries frame no. D7428
- This machine carries frame no. B7 428
Auction terms and conditions