1935 Brough Superior 1,096cc 11-50hp
Registration no. BOA 928
Frame no. 8/1511
Engine no. LDZ/D41208/SE
Legendary superbike of motorcyclings between-the-wars Golden Age, the Brough Superior was synonymous with high performance, engineering excellence and quality of finish. That such a formidable reputation was forged by a motorcycle constructed almost entirely from bought-in components says much for the publicity skills of George Brough. But if ever a machine was more than the sum of its parts, it was the Brough Superior. Always the perfectionist, Brough bought only the best available components for his motorcycles, reasoning that if the product was right, a lofty price tag would be no handicap. And in the Roaring Twenties there were sufficient wealthy connoisseurs around to prove him right, T E Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) being the most famous example.
The speed with which the name Brough Superior established itself as synonymous with excellence may be gauged from the fact that the famous Rolls-Royce of Motorcycles sobriquet was first coined in 1921 when the marque was barely two years old. The story goes that Rolls-Royce objected to their name being associated with a mere motorcycle - until they examined one of Georges creations.
Launched in 1933, the 1,096cc 11-50 was the largest Brough Superior to enter series production. Powered by a sidevalve v-twin (of unusual 60-degree configuration) supplied exclusively to the Nottingham factory by J A Prestwich, the 11-50 fitted into the Brough price range between the SS80 touring and SS100 super-sports models. The 11-50 was conceived as a long-legged, effortless tourer and could exceed 90mph in solo form or pull a heavy sidecar at up to 75mph; indeed, in the latter role it was one of the finest sidecar mounts of its day. Production lasted until 1939, by which time the 11-50 was the only JAP-powered machine in the Brough Superior range.
This 11-50 has the rigid frame and Monarch front fork that characterised the standard offering for sidecar use (Castle forks and rear suspension were options). The machine was used in the UK until circa 1960 and was brought to Austria by the legendary Austrian racing motorcyclist, motoring journalist and founder of the Salzburgring Oldtimer Grand Prix, Dr Hemut Krackowizer. Previously owned and restored by the Brandstetter Collection (now housed at the Hockenheim Museum in Germany) the Brough was acquired by Professor Ehn in April 1969 and was last used on the road in 1977. The machine is offered with old-style UK registration document and bill of sale.
- This machine carries engine no. LTZ/D41208/SE and not as stated in the catalogue.