1929 Rochet-Schneider,
Lot 121
Originally the property of Sir Stanley Ward, British Consul in Cannes,1929 Rochet-Schneider 20hp Type 2900 Saloon 29038
Sold for €103,500 (US$ 130,389) inc. premium

Lot Details
1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider, 1929 Rochet-Schneider,
Originally the property of Sir Stanley Ward, British Consul in Cannes
1929 Rochet-Schneider 20hp Type 2900 Saloon
Coachwork by Billeter & Cartier

Chassis no. 29038
Engine no. 29000
Colour: Royal Blue with cream leather interior

Cylinders: 6; 3,754cc
Gears: 4 + reverse

Based at Chemin-Feuillat in Lyon, Rochet-Schneider was one of Les Grands Marques of the Edwardian period in France. The firm was so called because it was initially run by the Rochets, father and son, together with Théophile Schneider, a member of the eponymous armaments manufacturing family. Originally bicycle manufacturers, Société Anonyme des Établissements Rochet-Schneider built its first automobile in 1894 and in 1901 at the Paris Salon exhibited two cars of Panhard configuration. However, by this time the most advanced design was the German Mercedes, so for 1903 the Lyonnaise cars were redesigned along Mercedes lines. From the introduction of that year’s 20/22hp model, Rochet-Schneider’s reputation as the builder of strong, fast cars grew rapidly. The issue of The Autocar for 11th April 1903 reported that Rochet-Schneiders had finished first and second at Nice, ‘over some of the most difficult roads it was possible to select...’ and then won an ACF 100-miles non-stop certificate.
Despite having risen to become one of the most respected motor manufacturers in France, the company was sold in 1904 and ‘Rochet-Schneider Ltd’ set up in London. This successor company would ultimately prove a failure and in 1907 went into liquidation. At this point Théophile Schneider returned to reclaim the company bearing his name, setting up a subsidiary, ‘Carburateurs Zenith’, soon afterwards. Under Schneider’s direction the firm returned to producing high quality cars and commercial vehicles. An important seal of approval was gained for the reconstituted firm’s products when in 1911 the President of France, Raymond Poincaré, chose a Rochet-Schneider for his official duties.
In the years immediately after WWI, Rochet-Schneider continued with what were well proven but essentially conservative designs. Overhead-valve engines featured in the range from 1923 onwards, and towards the decade’s end the firm concentrated on producing a range of refined six-cylinder cars including the 20hp ‘2900’ model. These sixes would be Rochet’s passenger-car swansong. Hard hit by the Depression, the company concentrated exclusively on commercial vehicles from 1932 onwards and in 1951 was bought by erstwhile rivals Berliet.

Believed to date from 1929, this late 20hp Rochet-Schneider retains its original extremely handsome and commodious owner/driver coachwork by the Lyonnaise coachbuilder, Billeter & Cartier, which was by this stage closely associated with the car manufacturer. It is understood that the completed car was exhibited at the Paris Show that same year. Shortly afterwards, this superb touring saloon was purchased by Sir Stanley Ward, the British Consul in Cannes, who registered the car in the UK with the number it still carries, ‘GH 1993’ and had it painted in coffee and cream livery with his monogram on the doors. An original dashboard plaque records Sir Stanley’s name and address, which was a legal requirement in France in those days.
The car’s subsequent history is not known, but at the end of WW2 it was taken from the barn where it had lain hidden and brought to the UK where it remained preserved in unrestored condition until the mid-1980s. This highly original and matching-numbers car has since been the subject of a painstaking restoration, completed circa 1986, by the highly regarded James E Pearce, of Wisborough Green. The quality of the work carried out was clearly to an exceptionally high standard as even 20-plus years later the car is difficult to fault cosmetically. It has a particularly well-appointed and tasteful interior incorporating intricate veneers, high quality carpets and carefully matched hides. Brightly upholstered, the cabin has a welcoming, light and airy feel about it, and one can imagine that Sir Stanley Ward’s journeys either to or along the Côte d’Azur were made all the more pleasurable by being carried in such style.
Detail features range from the extremely comfortable armchair-style driver and front passenger seats, the latter being fitted with an extending leg/foot rest, while confronting the occupants is a magnificent array of Le Coutre instrumentation lit by three individual dashboard lights and complemented by the aforementioned ownership plaque to the right and a glove box at either end. Each side of the car is fitted with gentleman’s and lady’s companions complete with smoking accessories, perfume, mirror and brush, and there is even a bound facsimile of the original manual in one of the side pockets. Externally the car is fully equipped with running board tool chests; metal footstep/wiping grilles by each door; town and country horns; a well proportioned trunk to the rear and magnificent ‘bull’s eye’ Marchal headlights to the front. In addition, there is a mount on the bonnet, complete with electrical feed, suitable for an illuminated Lalique mascot.
In this period Rochet-Schneider marketed its cars under the slogan: ‘Strength, Simplicity, Silence’, which fits this car well today. It has had only the lightest of use since restoration and hence is in magnificent condition throughout. Fitted with most aesthetically proportioned coachwork and constructed to an exceptionally high standard using only the finest quality materials, this car eloquently demonstrates why Rochet-Schneider was regarded as the French equivalent of Rolls-Royce. It can be highly recommended to any collector.

Supporting documentation includes sundry restoration invoices, list of previous owners, old-style logbook and current UK V5 registration documents.

• Coachbuilt elegance
• Outstandingly original
• Restored condition
• Guaranteed concours invitee



Voiture ayant appartenu à l’origine à Sir Stanley Ward, consul de Grande Bretagne à Cannes.

1929 Rochet- Schneider 20CV Type 2900 Berline

Carrosserie de Billeter & Cartier
Châssis no. 29038
Moteur no. 29000
Couleur : Bleu Royal, intérieur de cuir crème

Cylindrée : 6 cylindres, 3,754 litres
Boîte de vitesses : 4 rapports plus marche arrière

La société Rochet-Schneider, établie à Lyon, au Chemin Feuillat, a été l’une des « Grandes Marques » de la période édouardienne en France. Le nom de la société provient des Rochet, père et fils, associés à Théophile Schneider, membre de la famille éponyme possédant des usines d’armement. Il s’agit au départ d’une fabrique de cycles, la « Société anonyme des établissements Rochet-Schneider », qui construit sa première automobile en 1894 et expose au Salon de l’Auto de paris de 1901 deux véhicules de type Panhard. Toutefois, à l’époque, les dessins les plus réussis étaient ceux de Mercedes et en 1903, les voitures de l’usine de Lyon s’inspirent des lignes de la firme allemande. A partir de la présentation de ce modèle 20/22 CV, Rochet-Schneider va bénéficier d’une réputation de constructeur de voitures solides et rapides, réputation qui grandira très vite. Dans l’édition du 11 avril 1903 du journal « Autocar », il est écrit que Rochet-Schneider finit premier et second de la course Paris-Nice sur des routes qui sont dans un état épouvantable, le pire que l’on puisse imaginer. Par la suite, la marque gagnera une course de 160 kilomètres non-stop organisée par l’ACF.
Bien qu’étant l’un des constructeurs automobile les plus respectés de France, la société est vendue en 1904 et Rochet-Schneider Ltd s’établit à Londres. Cette nouvelle société est un échec et la cessation d’activité intervient en 1907. C’est alors que Théophile Schneider réclame le droit de récupérer le nom de la société, créant aussi une filiale « Carburateurs Zénith ». Sous sa direction, la firme construit à nouveau des voitures de haute qualité et des véhicules commerciaux. La renommée de la marque sera décuplée lorsque le Président français Raymond Poincaré choisit une Rochet-Schneider comme voiture officielle.
Après guerre, Rochet-Schneider continue à produire des modèles bénéficiant de solutions techniques bien rodées mais évoluant peu. Des moteurs à arbre à cames en tête figurent au catalogue à partir de 1923 et vers la fin des années 20 l’usine se concentre sur la production de voitures de luxe à moteurs six cylindres, gamme dont fait partie le modèle 20CV « 2900 ». Ces six cylindres sont le chant du cygne de la marque dans le domaine des voitures privées. Sérieusement touchée par la Grande Dépression, l’usine se consacrera exclusivement à la production de véhicules commerciaux à partir de 1932. Elle sera rachetée en 1951 par sa rivale Berliet.

L’année estimée de construction de cette 20 CV Rochet-Schneider est 1929. Sa carrosserie est très originale, particulièrement élégante et avec son ingénieuse séparation chauffeur/propriétaire. Elle a été réalisée dans les ateliers lyonnais de Billeter & Carier, qui à cette époque fonctionnait en association très privilégiée avec le constructeur. On comprend que cette voiture, ainsi équipée, ait été présentée au Salon de l’Auto de Paris la même année. Peu après, cette superbe berline est achetée par Sir Stanley Ward, consul de Grande Bretagne à Cannes. Il la fait immatriculer la voiture au Royaume Uni sous le numéro GH 1993 qu’elle porte encore aujourd’hui, la fait peindre en couleur café crème et fait poser son monogramme sur les portes. Elle est équipée d’un tableau de bord qui porte une plaque au nom de Sir Stanley, ce qui était obligatoire en France à l’époque.
La suite de l’historique de la voiture n’est pas connue, mais à la fin de la Deuxième Guerre Mondiale, la voiture est extirpée de la grange dans laquelle elle avait été cachée et ramenée au Royaume Uni où elle est restée en remise, sans restauration, jusqu’au milieu des années 80. Cette voiture très originale, dont les numéros de série et de moteur correspondent à sa construction, a ensuite bénéficié d’une restauration soignée, complétée dans les années 1986 par le très respecté James E Pearce, de Wisborough Green. Les travaux effectués sont d’une telle qualité qu’aujourd’hui, vingt ans après, il est encore difficile de trouver le moindre défaut sur cette voiture. L’intérieur est particulièrement de bon goût avec des parements de bois plaqués, des tapis de très haute qualité et des cuirs assortis. Brillamment capitonnée, la cabine passagers est accueillante, éclairée et bien aérée, on peut facilement imaginer les voyages de Sir Stanley Ward à bord de cette voiture, vers ou sur la Côte d’Azur dans des conditions de confort absolues.

Parmi les aménagements intérieurs intéressants, on relève le confort extrême du fauteuil du chauffeur et des sièges passagers, ces derniers étant prolongés de repose-pieds repliables. A l’avant, se trouve un magnifique tableau d’instruments Lecoultre, éclairé par trois lampes individuelles et complété de la plaque de propriétaire déjà évoquée. Une boîte à gants est située à chaque extrémité. Chaque côté de la voiture est équipé de coffres de rangement pour gentlemen et ladies, comprenant accessoires pour fumeurs, parfum, miroir et brosse. On trouve même un fac-similé du manuel d’utilisation dans l’une des poches de côté. Extérieurement, la voiture est équipée de sa trousse à outils de voyage et de marchepieds grillagés escamotables devant chaque portière, d’un avertisseur à deux tonalités, l’une pour la ville, l’autre pour la campagne, d’une malle à bagages de bonnes proportions à l’arrière et de magnifiques phares Marchal à l’avant ; on trouve encore un support sur le capot, portant une mascotte de réservoir Lalique avec système d’éclairage électrique.

A cette époque, le slogan de la marque Rochet-Schneider était « Solidité, simplicité, silence » une sorte de véritable définition de cette voiture que l’on peut reprendre aujourd’hui. Elle a été peu utilisée depuis sa restauration et est donc en très bon état. Avec sa carrosserie aux proportions élégantes et construite selon des standards de fabrication très élevés, utilisant seulement les matériaux de meilleure qualité, cette voiture démontre de façon éloquente pourquoi Rochet-Schneider a pu être considéré comme l’équivalent français de Rolls-Royce. Il s’agit d’une voiture qui intéressera tous les collectionneurs.

La documentation jointe à la voiture comprend diverses factures de restauration, la liste des propriétaires précédents, un carnet d’utilisation à l’ancienne et les documents d’enregistrement UK V5.

• Carrosserie élégante
• Originalité exceptionnelle
• Voiture restaurée
• Garantie d’accréditation en concours
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items