The Ledbury Hounds signed and dated 'Cuthbert Bradley 1913' (lower right); indistinctly inscribed with dog's names on inner frame oil on canvas 24 x 36 1/4 in. (61 x 92 cm.)
A study for the present lot is illustrated in The Foxhound of the Twentieth Century by Cuthbert Bradley, Routledge, 1914, p. 180.
The study depicts the Ledbury Hounds in 1913 and is a preparatory sketch for the present lot, which was commissioned by Sir George Bullough MFH. Both pictures show the Hounds Vandal, Pillager, Partner, Raeburn, Rambler, Blucher, Gloucester, Rascal, Saladin, Baronet, Ragman, Bandit and Wanderer.
Sir George Bullough, 1st Baronet (February 28, 1870 July 26, 1939) was a businessman, soldier, and thoroughbred racehorse owner and breeder.
Born in Accrington, Lancashire, George Bullough was educated at Harrow School. In 1891 George and half-brother Ian each inherited a half interest in Howard & Bullough, their father's successful textile machinery manufacturing company. George also inherited the Isle of Rum, the family's sporting estate in the Inner Hebrides where he would build Kinloch Castle between 1898 and 1901.
In 1903, he married Monique Lily de la Pasture whose family had an estate at Montreuil-sur-Mer in northern France. Known as Lady Monica, she was the eldest daughter of the Fourth Marquis de la Pasture whose aristocrat ancestors had fled the French Revolution.
Other than the income it provided, George Bullough had little interest in the family business. With his wealth, he chose to pursue an interest in yachting and horse racing as well as hunting, serving as Master of the Ledbury Foxhounds from 1908 until 1921. He won the Grand National in 1917 with Ballymacad and the Gold Cup with Golden Myth in 1922. His Rum kennel of Gordons were also Crufts winning dogs.
He also built a 221 ft ocean-going steam-powered yacht in which he travelled extensively. Following the outbreak of the Second Boer War, Bullough converted his yacht to a hospital ship and sailed it to South Africa for service. As a result of his support of the war effort, in 1901 he was knighted by King Edward VII.
Bullough served as a cavalry officer with the Imperial Yeomanry from 1908 until 1911 and because of his horsemanship, during World War I he was appointed a superintendent with the Remount Department with the rank of major. For his services to his country, George Bullough was elevated to the Baronetcy in 1916.
We would like to thank Jenny Dancey of the Melton Carnegie Museum, Leicestershire, for her help in cataloguing this lot.