1932 Ford Model AA Drop-side Tipper Registration no. GL 97 Chassis no. AA4852870 Engine no. AA1478469
Introduced late in 1927, the AA was Ford's first entirely new goods model since they commenced British assembly in 1911 with the 7cwt Model T, which was joined by the stretched, by the 1-ton payload Model TT a few years later. The Model T ceased production in 1927 and was replaced by the 15cwt Model A and 20-30cwt Models AA and AAF. The AA was powered by a 3.3-litre 40bhp four-cylinder sidevalve petrol engine, with transmission by way of a three-speed gearbox and worm driven rear axle or an alternative bevel driven axle in the case of the AAF. The wheelbase was 10 11 but another of 13 1 was offered from late in 1929 when the original gearbox was replaced by a four-speed unit. Both models continued until production ceased late in 1935. Authentically restored by John Moore, of Bilston, Staffordshire, this very good example of the 13' 1" wheelbase Model AA truck was purchased for the Collection in the early 1980s and has been stored in dry conditions since then. Its previous history is unknown, but hand operated tipping gear is fitted and the vehicle remains in Mr Moores livery. It should be noted that the accompanying Swansea V5 registration document listing Mr Moore as owner also records the fact that the vehicle has been assembled from parts, some or all of which were not new. In addition there is an expired MoT on file dated 1992-1993, which presumably is the last time it was used on the road.