1948 Dennis Pax ID2 Flat-bed Truck Chassis no. to be advised Engine no. to be advised
The Dennis brothers John and Raymond were engaged in the cycle business in the late 1880s, moving on to produce motorcycles, cars and then commercial vehicles, the first of which a 15cwt van - appeared in 1904. Denniss earliest vehicles featured the firms patented worm-drive rear axle, unlike those of their rivals, almost all of which used chain drive. The firm is inextricably linked with the manufacture of public service vehicles and more especially with the Fire Service, its first fire engine being delivered to the City of Bradford in 1908. A variety of lighter chassis was produced during the 1920s with payloads of 30cwt, 2 tons and 3 tons, which were fitted with both van and lorry bodies. Dennis had taken over its engine supplier White & Poppe in 1919 and in 1934 introduced the first of its own diesel engines. One of the firms most successful models of this period was the 40/45cwt chassis that was notable for carrying its engine ahead of the front axle, its protruding snout giving rise to the nickname flying pig. At around the same time the firm began to make serious inroads into the heavyweight market sector, introducing the 6/7-ton Max in 1937. There was also a 5-ton version, which was given the name Pax when civilian production resumed after WW2. This example of the latter is powered by a four-cylinder sidevalve petrol engine. There are no documents with this Lot.