When William Morris launched his Morris Oxford Light Car in 1913 he could have had little idea of the impact that his famous Bullnose radiatored cars would have on bringing motoring to the masses in the U.K. Initially powered by White & Poppe engines, Morris was later to adopt the Continental engine and subsequently the Hotchkiss engine, a sturdy unit indeed which powered the Cowley and Oxford models, as well as being the basis for the first MG cars and also Morris Commercials. The 11.9hp Cowley sold in greatest numbers and was offered in various guises including four seater tourer, doctors coupé, commercial travellers car and the hugely popular two seater with dickey. In 1925 the two seater with dickey sold for £162.10s, making motoring extremely affordable thanks to mass production techniques at Cowley. The Morris competed with the likes of Austin which were significantly more expensive and Clyno who tried hard to compete with Morriss pricing policy but finally succumbed under the formidable marketing powers of Morris.
This smartly presented Cowley comes from private ownership and has been rallied extensively in recent years and competed in concours delégance events with some success. It is attractively presented in a traditional Morris colour scheme and the black painted headlamps, side lamps and horn reflect previous owners attention to original specification. The car has good weather equipment, nickel fittings where appropriate, two-piece opening windscreen, running board-mounted spare wheel and petrol can and the distinctive Bullnose radiator carries the traditional calormeter. The two-seater with dickey coachwork accommodates two adults and two children and the four-cylinder Hotchkiss engine provides pulling power for the steepest of Yorkshire hills. This exceptionally tidy Cowley, welcome in the active Bullnose Morris Club and also the Light Car & Edwardian Section of the V.S.C.C., is offered with a Swansea registration document, old style registration document, current MoT certificate and road fund licence to July 2009.