1929 Harley-Davidson 74ci Model J
Registration no. GU 2981
Engine no. 29JD7864
1909 marked the appearance of Harley-Davidsons first v-twin, though it was not until the adoption of mechanically operated inlet valves in 1911 (replacing the atmospheric type inherited from the single) that production really took off. Known by the sobriquet pocket valve, this inlet-over-exhaust engine - built in 61ci (1,000cc) and 74ci (1,200cc) capacities - would remain in production for the next 20 years. The Harley singles transmission arrangements - direct drive by means of a leather belt - were continued at first on the twin, but the need to make better use of the engines power characteristics, particularly for sidecar pulling, prompted the introduction of a two-speed rear hub for 1914, by which time chain drive and a proper clutch had been adopted. Later that same year a conventional, three-speed, sliding-gear transmission with step starter was introduced on the top-of-the-range version of the twin which, with full electrical equipment, was listed from now on as the Model J. Periodically revised and up-dated, the Model J had gained a front brake, stronger fork and pumped lubrication by the time production ceased in 1929. Dating from the final year of production, this example of Harleys landmark original v-twin has formed part of the Collection for more than 30 years. The machine is equipped with full electric lighting and Corbin 100mph speedometer, the latter recording a total of 21,701 miles on the odometer. It is not known when it was last used. Offered with old-style buff logbook and old-type Swansea V5.