The Jaguar XK150 is undeniably one of the worlds fastest and safest cars. It is quiet and exceptionally refined mechanically, docile and comfortable. As with most cars, there are a few body details which could be improved, but we do not know of any more outstanding example of value for money, - Autocar. What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguars fabulous XK series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140s divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new models main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed. Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the engines maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. Special Equipment and S versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively, the latter delivering an astonishing 0-60mph time of 7.3 seconds and a top speed of 136mph. This was achieved by the introduction of the Weslake-developed, straight-port cylinder head, high-compression pistons, triple 2 SU carburettors and twin electric fuel pumps. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150S. Steel wheels remained the standard fitting, though XK150s so equipped are a great rarity, as most were sold in SE (Special Equipment) specification with centre-lock wire wheels. The much-admired chromed Jaguar mascot was made available as an optional extra on an XK for the first time. Original right-hand drive 150S Roadsters are the rarest of all XKs, this car being one of only 40-or-so produced. Presented in its original cream livery and retaining its original registration mark, 2132 SF is a very correct, matching-numbers car with extensive history. Supplied by Edinburgh Jaguar dealers Rossleigh to Mr C McLauchlen, of Craig Lockhart House, Edinburgh on 20th November 1958, the car is believed to have remained in Scotland until 1980 when it was acquired by the chairman of the Norwegian Jaguar Club. A major restoration was then undertaken in the UK using respected Jaguar specialists, the engine, gearbox and overdrive being rebuilt by Forward Engineering and the interior re-trimmed by Suffolk & Turley. The mileage was recorded as 73,000 at time of restoration. The car won concours events in Norway and the UK in the late 1980s and seems to have returned permanently to this country in 1989. The previous owner acquired the car at Brooks Olympia sale in 1996. It has been fastidiously maintained and although the restoration has mellowed, the car remains in excellent condition and drives very well indeed. The triple-carburettor engine is smooth and powerful, and the Moss gearbox is unusually sweet. The mileage showing now is 96,000. There is a very comprehensive history file containing past MoTs and restoration invoices, and the car comes with Jaguar Heritage Certificate, Swansea V5C registration document and MoT to February 2009.