Although Rolls-Royces acquisition of Bentley Motors in 1931 robbed the latter of its independence, it did at least ensure the survival of the Bentley name. Launched in 1933, the first of the Derby Bentleys, as they would come to be known, continued the marques sporting associations but in a manner even more refined than before. Even W O Bentley himself acknowledged that the 3½-Litre model was the finest ever to bear his name. Based on the contemporary Rolls-Royce 20/25hp, the 3½-Litre Bentley was slightly shorter in the wheelbase and employed a tuned (115bhp) twin-SU-carburettor version of the formers overhead-valve six. Add to this already remarkable package an all-synchromesh four-speed gearbox and servo assisted brakes, and the result was a vehicle offering the driver effortless sportscar performance in almost absolute silence. The Silent Sports Car, as it was swiftly dubbed, had few peers as a tireless long-distance tourer, combining as it did traditional Rolls-Royce refinement with Bentley performance and handling. The Derby Bentley was, of course, an exclusively coachbuilt automobile and as befitted its sporting nature was almost always fitted with owner-driver saloon or drophead coupé coachwork, the standard designs being the work of Park Ward. Of the 2,442 examples manufactured (including the subsequent 4¼-Litre model) almost 50% were bodied by Park Ward. That offered here though, boasts handsome, owner-driver, sports saloon coachwork by Freestone & Webb of North London, one of the finest of all British coachbuilders and a firm associated with quality marques from its earliest days, particularly Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Mercedes-Benz. Chassis number B6EF is featured on pages 180 and 181 of Michael Ellman-Browns authoritative work, Bentley: The Silent Sportscar. The car was sold new to Sir Ronald Gunter, of Weather, Yorkshire and before WW2 passed into the ownership of one F A Yomans, of Burton-on-Trent. It was next owned, from 1941, by a Mr Haugh, of Derby and then by one T W Chew, of Wick, Yorkshire who acquired the car in 1963. Nothing else is known of the Bentleys history until it was bought by Richard Lloyd in 2000. Richard then commissioned a full restoration, which was carried out by recognised marque specialists (name unknown) to cover all aspects of bodywork, paint and mechanicals. Finished in grey with original green leather interior, the car is presented in generally excellent condition and is running well. A lovely Derby Bentley, elegantly bodied by one of the most exclusive of British coachbuilders, B6EF is offered with sundry restoration invoices and Swansea V5 registration document.