1955 Aston Martin DB2/4 Drophead Coupé Coachwork by Mulliners (Birmingham) Ltd Registration no. MAS 892 Chassis no. LML/1056 Engine no. VB6J/412
The Aston Martin DB2/4 is an expensive car designed to cater for the connoisseur of sports cars who is not limited by financial considerations. - Autocar, 2nd October 1953. With the introduction of the '2+2' DB2/4 in October 1953, Aston Martin extended the model's appeal to the hitherto untapped yet increasingly important market comprised of 'sports car enthusiasts with a family'. Modifications to the rear of the chassis plus a reduction in fuel tank capacity from 19 to 17 gallons liberated sufficient space within the existing design for two child-sized occasional rear seats. Alternatively, the rear seat backs could be folded down, thus creating a load-carrying platform that more than doubled the luggage space. The latter could be accessed via the 2/4s opening rear door, a pioneering example of the now commonplace hatchback concept. This transformation gives the Aston Martin DB2/4 an unrivalled luggage-carrying capacity in a car which should be capable in favourable circumstances of achieving two miles a minute, reported The Motor. The DB2/4 can truthfully claim to be the fastest car in the world capable of carrying two people with a month's luggage. Standard specification included the 2.6-litre VB6E engine in 125bhp Vantage tune, but from early in 1954 the 3-litre 140bhp VB6J engine was installed, providing 118mph top speed and 60mph in around 11 seconds. This was one of the fastest cars then built in Great Britain - with l00mph achievable in third gear and around 120mph maximum - possessing impeccable handling plus a level of comfort rare in any high-performance car. One of approximately 102 drophead coupés made, LML/1056 benefits from considerable recent mechanical refurbishment including an engine rebuild carried out by marque specialists Davron in 2005. Bills on file for the period 2003-2007 from Davron and other specialists total in excess of £40,000. Modifications notified include an engine replacement in 1959 (as detailed on accompanying service records for the period 1955-1964), DB MkIII bonnet and bucket seats. Bumper over-riders and the original seats are included in the sale, while a spare set of wheels shod with cross-ply tyres is available separately. Representing a rare opportunity to acquire a genuine right-hand drive DB2/4 drophead, the car is offered with FIVA Passport, current road fund licence/MoT and Swansea V5 registration document. Although not to hand at time of going to press, the cars history file will be available for inspection at the sale.