This Bentley Continental features the elegant, H J Mulliner-designed, Flying Spur four-door coachwork and is one of only 86 S3 models completed in this style. Eulogising about Bentleys new S-series cars, introduced in April 1955, The Autocar wrote, the latest Bentley model offers a degree of safety, comfort and performance that is beyond the experience and perhaps even the imagination of the majority of the worlds motorists. Later, in October that same year, the Bentley Continental became available on the S chassis, the model having been synonymous with effortless high speed cruising in the grand manner since its introduction in R-Type form in 1952. Rolls-Royce had envisaged the Bentley Continental as exclusively a two-door car, but late in 1957 the decision was taken to sanction the production of a four-door variation by H J Mulliner. Introduced on the S1 Continental and known as the Flying Spur, this design was a collaborative effort by Rolls-Royces in-house styling department and H J Mulliner, and bore a strong resemblance both to the two-door Continental and to existing coachbuilt four-door styles on Rolls-Royce and (non-Continental) Bentley chassis. To the Continentals existing qualities of pace and elegance, the Flying Spur added four-door practicality, a more spacious interior and generously proportioned boot. The Flying Spur body style continued on the V8-engined S2 Continental and was revised to incorporate the S3s four-headlamp front end following the latters introduction in 1962. Bentley Continental Flying Spur chassis number BC168XA was supplied new via Kennings in London equipped with electric windows (to all doors), luggage straps and sun visors. In 1989 the car was exported to California, USA where it remained in the ownership of noted collector/restorer Richard Straman until 2007. Re-imported into this country early last year, it comes with State of California Certificate of Title and has had its original UK registration 950 FYO reassigned. The car has been the subject of a thorough restoration undertaken by L T Classics, of London including an engine and gearbox rebuild, front suspension overhaul, brakes relined and a servo fitted. Originally Mist Green, 950 FYO has been repainted in Royal Blue and re-trimmed in tan leather. Bills on file for restoration work total circa £16,000 while others for related parts total circa £3,000. MoTd until June 2009, the car comes with current road fund licence and Swansea V5.