1930 Ariel 500cc Model F
Registration no. YD 577
Frame no. K9763
Engine no. K9062
Ariels design department was blessed with a surfeit of talent as the Selly Oak firm entered the 1930s, Chief Designer Val Page having under his wing both Edward Turner and Bert Hopwood. It was Page though, who had laid down the basics of Ariels four-stroke singles range in 1926, moved the magneto behind the engine for 27 and thus established the form in which the engine would survive for the next 30 years. Ariels range at this time encompassed a dazzling variety of models: vertical engines, sloping engines, side valves, overhead valves - two or four per cylinder - all were represented along with Turners revolutionary Square Four. This four-valve Model Fs accompanying old-style logbook (issued 1942) records the owner at that time as one Hubert Drew of Taunton, and Robert Albert Samson as the next owner, from 1960. An active enthusiast, Bob Samson rode the Ariel in a number of events including the VMCC International TT Rally (1961), VMCC Gloucester-Saundersfoot Run (1961), 1st Annual Tour of Birmingham (1961), Happy Wanderers MCC Salisbury Plain Veteran Rally (1961 and 62) and the Sunbeam MCCs 1st Annual Graham Walker Run (1963). Bob stopped using the Ariel later in 63 and the machine has remained in storage ever since. In need of restoration, it is offered with programmes and three commemorative trophies relating to the above-mentioned events, owners manual, parts list, Pitmans The Book of the Ariel, sundry Ariel transfers, two period photographs, the aforementioned old-style logbook and Swansea V5C registration document.
- Please note this is a two-valve model, not four-valve as stated in the description.