HMS Britannia entering the Grand Harbour, Valletta; HMS Britannia at anchor, a pair oil on canvas one 38 x 62cm (15 x 24 7/16in)., the other 35.5 x 57cm (14 x 22 1/2in). (2)
Provenance: Sir Cornwallis Ricketts, R.N (1803-1885); Thence by direct descent.
HMS Britannia was a 120-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy and one of the largest ships of her day, measuring 2,616 tons and carrying a crew of 594 officers and men, 66 boys and 160 marines. Launched in 1820, she saw service in the Mediterranean from 1830-1.
During this time, Britannia was the flagship of Vice-Admiral Sir Pulteney Malcolm GCB (17681838). Sir Pulteney was commander in chief of the Mediterranean from 1828-1831 and 1833-4 and later went on to become Chairman of the Oriental Club in London. Sir Cornwallis Ricketts, Bt. was Sir Pulteney's flag lieutenant.