The merchantman, 'Medina' of London in two positions off Dover oil on canvas 90.8 x 136.5cm. (35 3/4 x 53 3/4in.)
The full-rigged merchantman Medina was built at Topsham, Devon, in 1811. Registered at 469 tons, she was owned by Davy & Co. of London who put her into the Jamaica trade under the command of Captain Kenneday (sic). After changing owners more than once in the meantime, in 1820-21 she was sold to Haymans who appointed a new master, Captain Hayley, and transferred Medina onto the Bombay run where she seems to have spent the remainder of her career. Although undated, it is probable that this work was commissioned to mark the vessels completion and maiden voyage.