Buildwas Abbey, Coalbrookdale, Shropshire signed 'John Nash' (lower left) pencil and watercolour 26.5 x 38.5 cm. (10 1/2 x 15 1/4 in.)
In 1135 the Bishop of Chester brought a group of Cistercian monks over from Normandy and they established Buildwas Abbey. The abbey grew and prospered until 1536 when Henry VIII began his notorious dissolution of the monasteries, at which point the monks' way of life was lost forever. Nash creates a powerful effect by juxtaposing this historic and tranquil building, located next to the river Severn, with the industry taking place in a quarry nearby.