The lot includes a letter dated 24th March 1930, addressed to C.G.Macpherson, Maritime Buildings, The Point, Durban, from the Dept of Defence in Salisbury and Staff Officer War Records.
This medal was sanctioned as per Colony of Southern Rhodesia Government Gazette Notice No 267 of 30th April 1926 and was manufactured by Heaton and Co. Birmingham. They were engraved in London and Southern Rhodesia between 1928 and 1946.
A total of 497 British South Africa Company recipients were entitled to the 1890 medal with clasp 1890. Only 111 were issued. The total entitlement was 705 and only 200 were issued. Macpherson was entitled to the 1893 clasp as per roll.