Workshop of Bernaert van Orley (Brussels 1488-1541)
The Holy Family oil on panel, with an arched top 96.4 x 67 cm. (38 x 26 3/8 in.)
PROVENANCE: Sale Avignon, 8 December, 1991, lot 155 Sale Drouot, Paris, 7 June 1993, lot 32
EXHIBITED: L'Art du Moyen-Age, Musée Cantini, Marseilles, 1952, no.50
The composition of the present painting appears to have originated in the workshop of Bernaert van Orley. Many versions are known, variously given to van Orley himself, his studio, or one of his pupils, such as Pieter Coecke van Aelst (Aelst 1502-1550 Brussels). The poses of the Holy family and the angel remain the same but the variations occur in the background. Marlier lists eleven versions of this composition (see G. Marlier, Pierre Coeck d'Alost, pp.239-240) but suggests that the list may be incomplete. The present work may possibly be identified as that previously in Nuremberg (op.cit., p.240, no.4).