1966 Maserati Quattroporte Saloon
Coachwork by Carrozzeria Frua
Chassis no. AM107 1008
Styled by Frua and introduced in 1963, the V8-powered Quattroporte was a landmark model for Maserati, being the Modena firm's first four-door saloon and its first car of unitary construction. A landmark model for Maserati, the Quattroporte was the Modena firms first four-door saloon and its first car to employ unitary construction. Styled by Frua and introduced at the 1963 Turin Show, the Quattroporte was powered by a downsized - to 4.2 litres - version of the 5000GTs four-cam V8 and beneath the skin featured independent front suspension and a De Dion rear axle.
The successor Quattroporte II deployed the V6 engine and front-wheel-drive package of the Citroën SM in a body by Bertone, but did not long survive Maseratis takeover by Alessandro De Tomaso. Its successor - the Ital Design-styled Quattroporte III - arrived in 1978. Maserati V8 power was restored for this, the third of the line - the options being a 4.2 or a 4.9-litre unit - and the III reverted to rear wheel drive using a lengthened Kyalami floorpan and all-independent suspension. The Quattroporte name was revived for a fourth series in 1994.
One of the worlds foremost luxury saloons of its day, this early Quattroporte was owned by its first owner from new until 1991 and from 1991 to 2007 by its second. Restored in 2006 and acquired by the current owner earlier this year, the car is offered with Italian registration papers.
Une des plus luxueuses berlines du monde en son temps, cette Quattroporte faisant partie des premières séries resta aux mains de son premier propriétaire jusqu'en 1991 puis de 1991 à 2007 du second. Restaurée en 2006 et acquise par l'actuel propriétaire au début de cette année, elle est proposée avec ses papiers d'immatriculation italiens.