1958 Ford Consul MkII Saloon Registration no. RDL 568 Chassis no. 142756 Engine no. 204E142756
Launched at the 1950 Motor Show, Fords Consul and Zephyr Six broke new ground for the Dagenham firm. Both models were of unitary construction and featured overhead-valve engines, three-speed synchromesh gearboxes and MacPherson strut independent front suspension. In the Ford tradition they were keenly priced: at £470 the Consul was roughly 8% cheaper than the rival Morris Oxford. The Autocar remarked that the newcomers combined typically Ford low-cost motoring with new luxury and performance. Together with the Zodiac, the Consul and Zephyr were totally redesigned for 1956, emerging in Series II guise larger than before and benefiting from bigger engines. This Consul II was supplied new to Mrs Sybil Levey, of Yaremouth, Isle of Wight by Frank Cheverton Ltd, of Newport, IoW, whose dealer key fob is still with the car. Mrs Levey retained RDL 568 for the next 36 years, laying up the car in 1973 before selling it in 1994 to second owner Edward James, of Newport. Mr James restored the car and sold it to the current (third) owner in 2000. Ford service records for the period 1958-1972 are contained within the history file together with a complete run of tax discs form the original of 1958 through to 1973. (The mileage of 76,838 recorded on the current MoT certificate would appear to be correct). The car is offered with old-style logbook, current road fund licence, MoT to June 2008 and Swansea V5 registration document.