1914 Royal Enfield 2¼hp Forecar Quadricycle Registration no. A 7320 Chassis no. 190 Engine no. 11415
The origins of the Royal Enfield marque can be traced back to a small light engineering firm - George Townsend & Company - founded in Hunt End, near the Worcestershire town of Redditch, in mid-Victorian times. The firm moved into bicycle manufacture during the late Victorian boom years and by the turn of the Century had been reorganised as the Enfield Cycle Company, makers of the Royal Enfield. Manufacture of tri-cars, quadricycles and motorcycles had commenced by 1900, though production of the latter was dropped in 1904, resuming in 1910. Royal Enfields quadricycles were produced from the late 1890s until 1905 and employed single-cylinder De Dion engines of varying sizes and power outputs. The company obviously possessed abundant faith in its products, as one of the quads, crewed by Messrs Iliffe and Grew, was entered in the Automobile Club of Britain and Irelands Thousand Miles Trail of 1900 (London to Edinburgh and back), which it successfully completed, winning a silver medal. This wonderful Royal Enfield forecar has been in the current family ownership since the 1970s and was restored by the vendors father circa 1976, enjoying minimal outings since then. A single-speed, direct drive (no clutch) model, it has a Longuemare carburettor (believed fitted in the early 1900s) replacing the original De Dion surface instrument. Accompanying correspondence (dated 1976) from Dennis C Field, Veteran Car Club Research Historian, confirms the vehicles date of manufacture and complements the owner on the quality of the restoration. Previous known owners include a Mr D Whittaker (circa 1959) and Leslie Goldsmith (1964) and the quad is featured in the late Jim Sheldons book, Veteran & Vintage Motor Cycles. Effectively a two-seater Brighton car, it is offered with the aforementioned correspondence, copies of period press reviews and manufacturers publicity, copy old-style logbook and Swansea V5 registration document.
Please note that the actual date of manufacture for this vehicle is 1899.