1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster BN4-O.31194
Lot 35A
1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster BN4-O.31194
Sold for £10,780 (US$ 18,153) inc. premium
Lot Details
1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster
Registration no. ULC 569
Chassis no. BN4-O.31194
Introduced for 1956, the 100/6 represented the most radical step forward in the Big Healey’s development. Despite its initial success, sales of the original Austin-Healey 100 had begun to decline by the mid-1950s and so the model was revamped as the ‘100/6’, BMC’s 2.6-litre C-series six replacing the original four-cylinder Austin Atlantic engine. At the same time the wheelbase was lengthened from 7’ 6” to 7’ 8”, which enabled the inclusion of two occasional seats in the rear of the BN4 variant. In 100-6 tune the pushrod six produced 102bhp - 12bhp more than its predecessor - though the inevitable weight gain meant that there was little if any improvement in performance, the car’s top speed remaining at 103mph or thereabouts. Although stylistically very similar to the preceding 100, the 100/6 was nevertheless easily distinguishable by its ‘crinkle’ radiator grille and bonnet-top air intake. In 1957 an improved six-port engine became available, and this 117bhp unit was fitted to all the newly introduced BN6 two-seater roadsters. Top speed improved to 111mph and 1.7 seconds was cut from the 0-60mph time.
This BN4 model was purchased by its late owner in 1998 and comes with five expired MoTs/tax discs for the period 1998-2005 plus two old SORN certificates. Included in the sale is a quantity of invoices including one from Station Garage, Kendall for servicing and cylinder head work, together with others from A-H Spares and W J King. The car is offered with old-style logbook, current road fund licence,MoT to September 2006 and a Swansea V5.

Saleroom notices

  • Introduced for 1956, the 100/6 represented the most radical step forward in the Big Healey’s development. Despite its initial success, sales of the original Austin-Healey 100 had begun to decline by the mid-1950s and so the model was revamped as the ‘100/6’, BMC’s 2.6-litre C-series six replacing the original four-cylinder Austin Atlantic engine. At the same time the wheelbase was lengthened from 7’ 6” to 7’ 8”, which enabled the inclusion of two occasional seats in the rear of the BN4 variant. In 100-6 tune the pushrod six produced 102bhp - 12bhp more than its predecessor - though the inevitable weight gain meant that there was little if any improvement in performance, the car’s top speed remaining at 103mph or thereabouts. Although stylistically very similar to the preceding 100, the 100/6 was nevertheless easily distinguishable by its ‘crinkle’ radiator grille and bonnet-top air intake. In 1957 an improved six-port engine became available, and this 117bhp unit was fitted to all the newly introduced BN6 two-seater roadsters. Top speed improved to 111mph and 1.7 seconds was cut from the 0-60mph time. This BN4 model was purchased by its late owner in 1998 and comes with five expired MoTs/tax discs for the period 1998-2005 plus two old SORN certificates. Included in the sale is a quantity of invoices including one from Station Garage, Kendall for servicing and cylinder head work, together with others from A-H Spares and W J King. The car is offered with old-style logbook, current road fund licence and MoT to September 2006. It is hoped that a valid Swansea V5 registration document will have been obtained by time of sale.
Activities