1929 Francis-Barnett 172cc Model 9
Registration no. VC 1320
Frame no. 19140
Engine no. BZ11243
Founded by Gordon Francis and Arthur Barnett, Francis-Barnett set up shop in the old Excelsior works in Coventry in 1919. The downturn in the motorcycle market in the early 1920s prompted F-B to switch from producing expensive, high quality machines to the more utilitarian. First seen in 1923, the first of these was the triangulated, pin-jointed, straight-tube frame models whose novel method of construction gave rise to the Built Like A Bridge advertising slogan. This straight-tube Fanny B is powered by the 172cc twin-port Villiers engine. Restored by the vendor approximately 15 years ago, the machine has been started regularly since then but has not been used on the road. Retaining its original registration mark, it is offered with old-style logbook and Swansea V5 registration document.