1929 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Phantom II Tourer Coachwork by Caffyns Registration no. GC 1560 Chassis no. 72WJ Engine no. LV65
Reputedly the last model that Henry Royce designed himself, the Phantom II debuted in 1929 featuring an entirely new chassis laid out along the lines of the smaller Twenty. Built in two wheelbase lengths - 144 and 150, the former being used for the Continental models - the low-slung frame with its radiator set well back enabled coachbuilders to body the car in the modern idiom, creating sleeker designs than hitherto. The six-cylinder, overhead-valve engine also had come in for extensive revision and now sported redesigned combustion chambers and a cross-flow cylinder head, the cumulative effect of these changes being greatly enhanced performance. Offered from long term enthusiast ownership dating back more than 40 years, this first-series Phantom II was purchased in 1964 by the current, titled owner, who advises us that it has been used regularly and kept in good order. Originally bodied as a saloon landaulette by T H Gill & Son of Paddington, London, the car was registered GC 1560 and delivered to first owner Thomas Wolfe & Sons (1907) Ltd. The vendor advises us that the currently fitted tourer body was built by Caffyns around 1969. Included with this car is a substantial quantity of spare parts and other items including a six-port cylinder head (complete with valves, springs and pressure test certificate); set of ignition points; dynamo brushes; magneto couplings; and assorted bearings, gaskets and seals. Also included are the bulb holder; starting handle; tool kit; jack; wheel remover; special oil gun; brake drum remover and related special tools; flywheel puller; cylinder head removal tools; sump plug remover; and Hobson Telegauge. In short: this car is accompanied by just about every conceivable tool that might be required by the enthusiast owner/mechanic for the routine maintenance of his or her Phantom II. Finished in Old English White with tan leather interior, the latter equipped with foot warmer, GC 1560 comes complete with hood, tonneau cover and Silver Lady mascot, and is offered with spare keys, original logbook, original instruction manual, service/maintenance invoices, current road fund licence/MoT, Swansea V5 document and full history listing all spares purchased and repairs carried out since 1964.