Lagondas early success had been founded on the production of light cars, but the company changed direction in the mid-1920s with the introduction of the 14/60. The latter abandoned the firms traditional in-unit gearbox in favour of a midships-mounted transmission, but of greater technical interest was the engine. Designed by Arthur Davidson, the 2-litre four featured twin camshafts, mounted high in the block, operating inclined valves in hemispherical combustion chambers. Power output of this advanced design was a highly respectable 60bhp. For the 1929 season, a low chassis Speed Model was introduced, featuring revisions to the frames front end and a higher-compression engine fitted with twin carburettors. The Speed Model had resulted from the factorys Le Mans effort of 1928, when the 2-Litre driven by Andre DErlanger and Douglas Hawkes had finished 11th overall in the 24-Hour endurance classic. A classic example of racing improving the breed, the low chassis 2-Litre possessed markedly superior handling characteristics courtesy of its lower centre of gravity. For all its virtues, Davidsons engine was limited by its tortuous induction tracts and in 1930 a supercharged version was introduced to overcome this deficiency. The blower was mounted vertically in front of the engine, which was fitted with a stronger crankshaft, while a 3-Litre rear axle beefed up the transmission. A Powerplus supercharged was specified at first, but most blown 2-Litres came with a Cozette. Thus equipped, a low chassis 2-Litre was capable of up to 90mph. First registered on 4th March 1932, this Lagonda 2-Litre fabric-bodied tourer began life as a normally aspirated low chassis model. Acquired by the vendor in November 2005, it had been in the preceding, enthusiast owners hands since 1966, sharing its stabling with a number of other Lagondas. Its original owner is reputed to have returned the car to the works soon after purchase to be up-graded with a Cozette supercharger, although the switch to forced induction was not marked on the engine identification plate. In 1939, this car was one of four Lagondas entered in the RAC Rally. Driven by C E Littler, PJ 3812 finished 15th in Group III (open cars 10-15hp), the highest class-finish of the four and a highly creditable achievement against predominantly younger and theoretically faster opposition. During the 1990s the car was treated to major refurbishment, the engine being rebuilt by a marque specialist, the radiator overhauled, the instruments reconditioned and the odometer reset to zero. At the time of acquisition in 2005 it had covered some 9,400-or-so miles since completion, including three trips to the Continent, the most recent of which was a second outing to the Circuit des Ardennes last summer. Since acquisition by the vendor the car has been kept in dry storage as part of a small private collection and professionally maintained. Finished in green with red leather interior, it is offered with current road fund licence, MoT to June 2007 and Swansea V5 document. A rare survivor of the marque, PJ 3812 represents an opportunity to acquire a well preserved example one of the finest British sports cars of its day, possessing excellent provenance and period competition history.