The Property of a Deceased Estate 1956 Bentley S1 Continental Coupé Coachwork by H J Mulliner Registration no. VKD 460 Chassis no. BC11BG Engine no. BC11B
Bentleys magnificent Continental sports saloon has been synonymous with effortless high speed cruising in the grand manner since its introduction on the R-Type chassis in 1952. With the arrival of the final generation of six-cylinder cars, the all-new Silver Cloud and Bentley S-Type, the Continental lost some of its individuality but none of its exclusivity. Eulogising about the new S-Series cars, introduced in April 1955, The Autocar wrote, the latest Bentley model offers a degree of safety, comfort and performance that is beyond the experience and perhaps even the imagination of the majority of the worlds motorists. Later, in October that same year, the Bentley Continental became available on the S chassis. It brings Bentley back to the forefront of the worlds fastest cars, Autocar remarked of the H J Mulliner-styled fastback which, arguably, was the quickest four/five-seater saloon of its day. The Bentley S-Types new box-section chassis incorporated improved brakes and suspension and an enlarged (to 4,887cc) and more powerful version of the existing inlet-over-exhaust six-cylinder engine, which for the first time was identical in specification in its Rolls and Bentley forms. The Continental version came with shorter radiator and higher gearing and, for a time at least, could be ordered with right-hand change manual transmission. As had been the case with the original R-Type, the new S-Type Continental was only ever available as a coachbuilt car, the designs produced by independent coachbuilders for the S1 Continental chassis being among eras the most stylish. Originally registered VKD 460, this S1 Continental with H J Mulliner body (number 5945) and automatic transmission was first owned by Mr Richard Silcock of Myerscough House, near Garstang, Lancashire who kept the car until 1962 at which time it passed to its second owner, Colonel, Lord Langford. The latter retained the car until it was sold to the current owner in December 2003. During the 40-plus years of Lord Langfords ownership the car was maintained at the Crewe factory and subsequently by Bowling Ryan of Kearsley, Bolton, remaining in remarkably original condition with its dark green coachwork and pale green, leather-upholstered interior nicely patinated. While in the current enthusiast ownership BC11BG has been used as its makers intended: for touring both at home and abroad. Events attended and excursions undertaken include the Tour of West Sussex and Beaulieu Autojumble in 2004, which was followed by a week touring in Normandy and Brittany. In 2005 the Bentley and its owners were guests at the 50th Anniversary Rolls-Royce/Bentley celebrations at marque specialists P & A Wood of Great Dunmow, Essex and later that same year attended the period-dress Goodwood Revival meeting, photographs of which are included with the car. Sounding sweet when running, the car has been standing for a few months and would benefit from gentle re-commissioning and, probably, a service before extended use. A wonderfully well preserved and cherished Bentley Continental, BC11G is offered complete with its original tool tray, large tools and under-bonnet torch, original logbook and handbook, showroom brochure, workshop manual and spare parts list, sundry service invoices relating to the present and preceding periods of ownership, current MoT certificate and Swansea V5 registration document.