1955 Vincent 998cc Black Knight
Registration no. VTO 569
Frame no. RD12882F
Engine no. F10/AB/2/10982
It had been Philip Vincents belief that provision of ample weather protection combined with enclosure of engine and gearbox, would make the Vincent Series D the ultimate gentlemans motorcycle, though delayed delivery of the glassfibre panels - plus continuing demand for traditionally-styled models - resulted in over half the production leaving the Stevenage factory in un-enclosed form. The enclosed Rapide and Black Shadow were known as Black Knight and Black Prince respectively. Other Series D innovations included a new frame and rear suspension, a user-friendly centre stand, plus many improvements to the peerless v-twin engine. When production ceased in December 1955, 528 Series D v-twins had been built, 233 of which were enclosed models. The vendor purchased this matching numbers Black Knight in August 2000 and immediately commissioned a thorough check over and refurbishment by well-known Vincent specialist Len Matthews, a copy of whose invoice is included in the sale. Previous owner Mr Penny kept the Vincent from July 1971 to August 2000, using it very sparingly in later years having found that kick-starting a l,000cc machine was a little beyond a septuagenarian. In addition to the Swansea V5 registration document, the machine comes with an old-style buff logbook covering the period July 1959 to July 1971, together with MoT certificates dating back to April 1970 appearing to confirm that the recorded mileage of 42,994 is correct. Currently licensed on a SORN certificate, it is expected to possess a valid MoT by time of sale.