c.1960 Norton 350cc International
Frame no. R4 88640
Engine no. C10T 17812
Norton first applied the name International to its overhead-camshaft model in 1932. A racer for the road, the top-of-the-range Inter was based on the works machines but could be ordered with refinements such as lights and a kickstart-equipped gearbox. By the time production halted in 1939 the Inter was being built with four-speed foot-change gearbox and plunger rear suspension, re-appearing after the war in similar guise save for the adoption of the hydraulically-damped Roadholder front fork which replaced the pre-war girder. The model received Nortons race-developed Featherbed frame for 1953, an alloy cylinder barrel/head and the new laid down gearbox being adopted at the same time. Expensive to make and challenged by cheaper parallel twins of comparable performance, the Inter ceased to be catalogued after 1955 but could still be obtained to special order until 1958, many of the later machines incorporating Manx components.
This Norton special combines a 1948 Model 40 Inter 350cc engine (fitted with Manx cylinder head) with the later Featherbed frame, this one dating from 1960, while other noteworthy features include BTH magneto, Amal TT carburettor, alloy wheel rims, Lyta-style fuel tank and conical front hub. It is hoped that further information will be available at time of sale.